cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages of batch classification from QC inspection

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

In my opinion, linking MIC with Class characteristics and passing test results into batch classification is useless, unless we want to utilize the results for batch determination process.

Can anyone highlight other valid advantages of passing QM test results into Batch classification?

Another question on batch class; How many maximum number of class characteristics a SAP batch class can hold in CL02?

Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member42743
Active Contributor

If you are in a Chemical, food or pharma business you really don't have a choice except to use batch management.

Most places should be operating at least at the material/batch level.  There is almost no good reason to operate at the plant/material/batch level. 

The advantage of being at the material/batch level or higher is that each batch can only have one set of batch values while there can be many inspection lot values for a given batch.    The values at batch level are seen across plants and distribution sites.  To see and report on values, (creating a cert or checking value to use in production), can be very difficult if the inspection lot is in a different plant than where the material is. 

Only batch values are seen outside of QM.  So if you want to do any batch search strategies outside of standard FIFO or checking of customer specs, you need to do that with batch values.  Batch determination cannot use MIC's.

These are  a few of the reasons.  Depending on your business there are probably many more.

FF

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Neda and FF for contributing to my post.

I understand the batch level and usage of classification in batch determination. I am also aware of the difficulty in creating the cert if the inspection lot is in a different plant, but that difficulty is anyway there if the cert requires the inspection specs along with results.

Apart from the above can anyone throw more advantages of passing QC results to batch classification?

The reason why I am asking, I am pushing for this concept at my client (Chemical industry), but the other BU IT team members are not agreeing to expand the current batch class with the QM class characteristics. Because they are afraid that each and every production plant (factory) has 200+ QM test characteristics and we have like 50+ factories. I told them a harmonization needs to be in place before we finalize the class characteristics, but they are afraid that even after harmonization we will end up in at least 1000+ characteristics in batch class.

former_member42743
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You can keep specs in the batch class.. I'm not sure why every one thinks you can't!!!

Please review an old post of mine here:

http://www.sapfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=337723&hilit=batch+class+specifications

This explains specs.  I've seen very few products that need more than 200 characteristics in a class.  20-60 is more like it.  I focus mostly on chemical and pharma and have worked many of the bigger names in both industries.

FF

Former Member
0 Kudos

One of the advantages of batch class character and linking them to MIC is good reporting opportunity from trns. code: bmbc instead of QE03 (Display inspection result). It is a very important using of MIC result in a special place where  all of the information of a special Batch are gathered. in this case, accessing management will be easy for Bath management Department and Quality management Department.

Another advantages of passing QM test results into Batch classification is in Usage Decision. for example you can change SLED (shelf life Expire Date) to the new date when you taking usage decision.