cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does FPM have a place in custom webDynpro project?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

I've worked with WD for years, but haven't used floor plan manager so far. I've just checked documentations about FPM, it seems to me that this is a tool more for SAP standard application development where you would design the application in a way that is configurable to fit customer's requirement. So SAP could build a solution using FPM, during custom implementation, consultant would configure it using FPM to make it more suitable for the specific customer.

Base on this observation, it looks to me it is not really useful for custom WD project. If I am building a custom project, I know exactly what the specific requirement is, and I built the application exactly in the way my customer wants. So making it configurable using FPM does not add any value to my customer.

Is this understanding correct? Or just I don't get the whole picture of FPM yet, or I got it wrong.

Thanks for clarification

Jayson

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It might make sense to implement FPM so that you get a unified UI. Most new SAP developments are based on FPM. Unless your application is the only one being used? FPM doesn't cause that much more development overhead, especially if you consider the benefits you are getting. Remember that there are 3 different floorplan types, one of them should suit your requirements.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have any info about which SAP solutions are based on FPM?

Also who should be taking care of the configuration part during implmentation of SAP FPM-based solution? Would it be the functional consultant, or it'd be done by technical guy at the same time enhancing the WD components?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HCM is probably the biggest user of FPM. Off the top of my head at least PLM (Web UI) is another one.

You can do a where-used on the FPM WD component FPM_XXX_COMPONENT to give you an idea how widely it is used. Replace XXX in the component name with GAF, OIF or OVP for the floorplan type in which you are interrested.

Usually the developer is responsible for doing the WD (incl. FPM) configuration.

Answers (0)