cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP APPL component safe for development ?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

a customer has developed some things in the SWCV SAP APPL 6.0 (which is normally predelivered by SAP). He created some new namespaces and added some development objects there.

Is that safe regarding future patches, service packs or PI versions ? When SAP deploys new content for this SWCV, will these objects survive or will they be deleted ? Does anyone know that for sure ?

Originally that was even done by an SAP employee, which surprises me...I think it is not good practice to use the SAP components for customer objects.

Regards,

Christian Sy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

smavachee
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Personally I have not observed that someone using existing SWCV for Customer Objects. Though it would not get deleted, that is not a proper approach.

SAP's "PI Best Practices: Naming Conventions" document states General Rules for SWCV..

Refer Page No. 7

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/40a66d0e-fe5e-2c10-8a85-e418b5...

Regards,

Sunil

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christian,

I like to adopt a "nothing is safe" approach when the SAP standard content is messed around with. So while SAP version steps newer content and the older content is left intact - there's always a chance that a new PI person arrives on the scene and decides to re-import the old content into the ESR (for whatever reason & the PI person won't assume that someone has changed the standard content?).

Very dangerous...but having said that - I had to make a change in standard content once before but that was due to a bug fix and it was done together with SAP development so this approach would always be supported by SAP. But once the official patch was released - I subsequently applied it in the customer landscape so that everything reverted back to standard.

In my opinion, there should be absolutely no reason to use / make changes in SAP standard content unless it is advised to do so by SAP. You could face a "lack of support" issue too if you encounter a problem.

Regards, Trevor