cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to setup network for WAS 6.10

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I was running the Linux WAS610 on Suse 7.1 together with a W2000 with fixed IP addresses and everything worked fine.

Now I changed to WinXP and dynamic IP addresses via the included DHCP server of Microsoft, because I'm using also a laptop. On my Linux system I entered the IP address of the DHCP server and the WinXP system can be pingged (both with the IP address and the name).

As I have no fixed IP address for my WAS6.10 system what do I have to enter for the SAPLogon? What is missing if I get the error message 'hostname 'was610' unknown'?

Any help or hint would be appriated.

Thanks.

Thomas.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas,

if you get the message "hostname was610" unknown, then your client cannot retrieve an IP adress for this name. So, doublecheck this with a PING. Also check for any differences when using the full qualified hostname.

Next, it is not really a good idea to assign IPs dynamically to servers. Although I encourage you to use DHCP for automatic network configuration, assign your server a static IP address on the DHCP server. Then you can always use this IP address in SAP logon instead of the hostname.

Regards,

Dominik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Dominik,

I solved the network problem. I still have my Windows machine running with hostnames and getting a dynamic IP address but the WAS610 is running with a static one. For this I had to add a route definition on the Linux machine.

Now I have the problem, that when I test a BSP page the browser opens, saying 'looking for www.was610.localhost' but never returns a side or an exception. Is there something I miss in the setup of WAS610?

Regards

Thomas.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thomas,

have ou a DNS server running? Your browser is obviously unable to retrieve the correct IP address for "was610"?

As a workaround you can add the hostname with correct IP address to the "hosts" file of your local computer (which resides in %windir%\system32\drivers\etc

Regards,

Dominik

Answers (0)