cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I restore DB on a diffrent system architecture

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I wanted to migrate our existing SAP system to Cloud server.

Our current architectire is IBM Power 6 Series machine with AIX OS. The destination system would be on X86 machive with AIX OS. Is it possible to restore the database (if I take an offline backup) on the new server which is on X86 architecture?

Please note we have our database on Oracle 10g and the destination Database would be 11g.

Thanks & regards,

Shanahas.K

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shanahas,

You plan to migrate 10g to 11g in cloud environment on X_86 environment. This requirement could not be met using backup restore method.

Reason:

1)  x_86 architecture does not match with Power 6 architecture

2) You cannot restore 10g database to 11g database. For restoration both source and target database should be of same release and version.

Option with you:

1) You need to migrate source database using SAPinst

2) Copy the dump to cloud system

3) Install target system on cloud using system copy option ( R3load)

4) Use this dump to import into target system.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Deepak,

I thought of going for the option which you suggested. But the issue is, for this i would require a long down time.

My DB size is around 1.2 TB. And our existing servers are at Mumbai and cloud servers are at Hyderabad.

I would have to shut down the system during the complete cycle, ie, 1) Taking System copy(dump) +  Transport the dump to destination + Install the traget system from the dump.

Where if I would be able to do Database restore, i will be saving the downtime as I cam bring up the existing server once the Offline backup is completed and then I can transfer the archive file (which got generated after the backup) to Destination system. Once the system is in sysnc, i can switch to the new server.

So do you think is there any other option here. like copying the data file to the destination server.

If required I can keep the destination server on 10g and later upgrade it to 11g.

Thanks & regards,

Shanahas

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shanahas,

Could you perform a POC using the option mentioned. Take an estimate from the POC and present it to the customer.

To reduced downtime, you may look for parallel export/import option. Export dump files being moved over the network ( Mumbai - Hyderabad). This will save time on downtime.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

There is no need to install 10G software on the target machine.

All you need to do is prepare the database for upgrade (running pre-upgrade scripts) while running on the old server.

Once you have the database restored on the new server running on AIX (compatible hardware) you will start the database in upgrade mode and upgrade it.

The upgrade can be completed in 1 hour, whereas an import is going to take a longer duration.

The problem I see is with the AIX on x86 hardware. I strongly recommend you to contact the IBM hotline or IBM certified / approved vendors to have a clarity on this.

If you are not confident about the upgrade then install 10G on the target and restore the database there. Once you are confident of switching the 10G to 11G perform the upgrade of the database.

@Maria

I am not sure how good you are with Oracle databases but I can clearly see a big gap in you based on your replies. It is evident that you haven't got a clue about the upgrade process.

Suggesting an import when there is a need to reduce downtime is clearly an indication of lack of understanding from your side. No offence.

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Reagan / Shanahas ,

I am just giving my suggestions based on my experience.. I feel it is just a suggestion not the recommendations.

Secondly, I felt that transferring 1.2TB across the network in an secure manner will take lot of time followed by the oracle upgrade.. If the consultant who is doing the oracle upgrade is very familiar with the upgrade the it wont be a problem. If not, what would be the case if he is struck up in the middle of the upgrade ???

Thirdly,  We are not 100% sure whether the such a huge datafile transfer will not be corrupted... There are lot of possiblities....

Fourth ,Based on my migration experiences, if you take an export of  1.2 TB, the dump size would be of 100 to 150 GB max... sometimes 200 GB but shouldnt be more than that...

When we say about your downtime , suppose  he is transferring 1.2 TB datafiles across the network, it would take atleast  12 to 15 hours for transfer alone assuming with the constant transfer rate of 1MB per second ... even if the user is compressing and transferring, I am sure it would take atleast  10 hours... and think about the time for uncompressing.

If the user is doing a parallel export and import, the system can be released within 12 hours...the user's dB will be reorganized...

Hence to my knowledge and experience , to be on safer side I feel that export and import would be a better choice....REPEAT : It is just  my suggestion

FYI : We have migrated  a system of Size 4 TB  from one data center to an another (distance between two DC's are more than 500kms) ,  within 12 hours and 7 TB within 18 hours 20 minutes.... 

So I feel migrating a system of 1.2 TB wont be more than 12 hours to the MAX...

As well as Iam not sure about the datafiles compatibility between the source and target system.. Since there is change in the OS version, i feel it could be a problem...

I like your comments.. 🙂

Regards,

Vimal

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

I am not sure whether AIX will run on a x86 systems. Suggest you to check with the vendor.

Regarding the Oracle database restore part. If the target system is running on AIX with Oracle 11G installed, then you can restore a 10G database there.

After the restore you will need to start the database in upgrade mode and upgrade the database to 11G.

Cheers

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

Thanks for the update. The vendor is saying that they can provide AIX on x_86 machine.

Regarding the Database restore, do I need to restore the the Database on 10g first(on target system) and then upgrade the traget system to 11g or is it possible to restore the database to my existing 11g DB (on target system) and then start the Database in upgrade mode.

Thanks & regards,

Shanahas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Shanahas,

You have to do as per  as per Deepak kori's suggestion. The export which you are taking from the source system is OS & DB independent.. You can install the latest oracle version in your target system and import  the dump.

If you want to do the backup / restore method then your source and target OS version & its patches as well as Oracle version & patches should be of same version... If not, you will lot of issues in DB level.

So It is strongly recommended from my end and deepak kori's to take an export from the source system and import it back..

You can be 99.9% sure of error free environment with this export & import method.

I hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Shanahas,

As mentioned by RB, AIX is not available on x_86 environment. AIX is available only on Power servers.

Please confirm your target landscape details so that migration strategy can be decided .

Regards,

Deepak Kori

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I think the vendor is wrong.

Take a ride on http://www.ibm.com/systems and do a "browse by operating system"

in the middle of the page.

I think there was an "AIX for PS/2" version in the days when I touched my first computers ...

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

AIX OS on x86 architecture? Sorry, but it's impossible. AIX OS is only works on Power architecture. You have error in your question. What OS you plan to use?

Regards,

Roman