cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GIS or XI

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have a client who is trying to decide whether to use GIS or XI as their Integration software. The task here is to connect an R/3 4.6C system (IDocs and RFCs) at one end and a shop floor system (flat file-based API) at the other end. BPM capabilities might also be needed.

The company already has a small implementation of GIS for their EDI traffic. The way they see the comparison is that, GIS is already there, so the upfront cost is minimal and the needed skills are already available in house. However, XI is viewed as the recommended EAI tool to communicate with and between SAP products.

From your experience, how do these two products compare to each other? And, what are the risks in implementing GIS instead of XI in terms of technology support by SAP moving forward?

Regards,

Bassem

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Parteek,

Thanks for your reply, which was helpful (and I did award you some points). However, GIS claims to offer the same monitoring capabilities and maintenance ease provided by XI. Also, on what basis is SAP's recommendation to use XI as the main conduit into and out of R/3? Is it only based on future support/compatibility, or also on current superior capabilities/performance? In the latter case, do we have any comparative study to highlight the differences between the two system in favor of one or the other?

Regards,

Bassem

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bassem,

GIS can be used for B2B scenarios, but SAP recommends the use of XI along with GIS. This aids maintainanace and monitoring as per SAP best practices

If SAP stops supporting 3rd party vendors' connectors, then the clients could face the rpoblems in future.

Please refer to the following link

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/servlet/prt/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d53af8ca-0801-0010-08b0-dce...

Reagrds,

Prateek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Bassem,

i dont much on GIS as yu said you interacting with SAP it would be mmuch easier and better if you use XI as intergation tool going ahead andmaintance will be less.