cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Rename on existing host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

I am trying to execute system rename on existing host to move Central System to virtual hostname.

Does anyone know if this is supported ?

I've done all the TCP/IP/DNS stuff etc.

I don't want to change anything on the database, this is a Central System where Oracle and the SAP CI is installed on the same physical host.

I've added a virtual hostname and want to move SAP to this.

Now, i do get some errors (not unexpected) when i choose to rename "Central System" in the "System Rename Tool" (SAPINST).

Anyway it works, i just check OK for status in keydb.xml for the DB-specific steps.

Further i think i should have executed the rename action for Distributed system and then renamed everything but the DB-instance.

Then the question, does anyone know if any of this is supported ?

Is it only supported to use system rename if you are changing hosts ?

With the first action i achieved everything i wanted in the first place, namely to move SAP to virtual hostname and leave Oracle (DB instance) running on physical hostname.

The point is that i wish SAP to use virtual-hostname because then i can install SAP on another host and move the system transparently.

DB will be replicated to host B using Oracle Data Guard.

BR Gerhard.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Can you provide logs for the errors you are getting? Also share your SUM, SAP, Oracle and Operating System versions. What is your SAP solution? Is it based on AS ABAP, AS JAVA or both meaning dual stack?

I'm not 100% sure but I think that you can't change your landscape configuration with System Rename. If you installed your system as a Central System (DB + CI on the same host), you will have to use the same option in System Rename. If you want to change your configuration from Central System to Distributed System (DB and CI on different hosts), you will have to do a System Copy instead.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

This is a ERP 6.0 Central System (CI+DB) ABAP only, running on same physical host, on Oracle 11.2 and Windows 2003 X64. The error-messages i get are quite obvious, such as:

Since i choose not to change DB nor SID, one error message says: Cannot copy init<SID>.ora onto itself. Also sapinst was expecting a control.sql as for a regular systemcopy. So bottom line, what i was trying to do is not possible without changing everything.

I see now that i actually did this procedure last year, then i choose "Distributed System" and only executed the two steps "Global host preparation" and "System Rename for Central Instance".

This actually worked fine, but whether it's supported i don't know.

BR Gerhard

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

System Rename is not applicable for this scenario. Please read Note 962955 - Use of virtual TCP/IP host names for info how to change to virtual hostname.

Regards,

Roman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello.

Yes ok, but i don't see why i cannot use System Rename tool for this scenario.

This note refers to instguides for installation/configuration of the system, and the latter is exactly what system rename does. It executes all the steps necessary to "reconfigure" the Central Instance from physical to virtual hostname/ip. As mentioned earlier i have tested this and it seems to work fine. The problem is i cannot find any information with regards to supportability. Anyway, since i probably will move the system to a new host, this should not be a problem.

BR Gerhard.

former_member182034
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

hi Gerhard,

Please go through the link and SAP Note.

System Rename

Note 1619720 - SAP System Rename for SAP Systems

Regards,