cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Node 'bootstrap' failed with exit code 503

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

since two days, I'm sitting in front of the following issue: I have installed SAP NetWeaver v7.2 CE successful (under Win 2003 Server) as Trial version, and when the installation is made, the SAP Java WebAS starts automatically too. But next time, when I try it manually, I got the error:

Error => "Node 'bootstrap' failed with exit code 503" in the protocol file.

Please see section "Failures" in the 'synchronizing binaries' phase in SAP Note 1316652 for additional iformation and trouble shooting advice.

Accordant the hints in SCN, I have checked the needed *.jar files. Additionally, I have seen that I couldn't connect to the database by starting Config Tool. ("Error occured while scanning DB. Msg: Error while connecting to DB").

The SAP NW is running in a VMWare with ~5,6 GB RAM and enough Hard disk capacity.

Any ideas how can I fix that?

Many thanks,

Cengiz

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Asha_Pillai
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Cengiz,

Please check jvm_bootstrap file present in work directory(/usr/sap/<SID>/<instance>/work)

This log file will provide the reason for failing bootstrap.

Regards,

Asha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Asha,

thanks. The file includes the following error line:

"Exception occured for component  [internal/unknown] of type [unknown]

com.sap.engine.bootstrap.SynchronizationException: Storage access initialization failed. Check if the database is running and the database connection properties....."

"Caused by: com.sap.dbtech.jdbc.exceptions.JDBCDriverException: SAP DBTech JDBC: Cannot connect to jdbc:sapdb://centur-0196afc6/CE1 [Restart required]

at com.sap.dbtech.jdbc.exceptions.SQLExceptionSapDB.createException(SQLExceptionSapDB:java:156)

"

Do you know how can I start a SAP MaxDB manually? May that will fix the issue. With the Config Tool, I couldn't do that.

Thanks,

Cengiz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cengiz,

You are right. You cant start Max DB through Config tool. You can start it by two ways - SQLCLI and DBMCLI.

Mudasir has given the commands in above post. You can make use of them. List of all commands for DBMCLI is -

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/30/cc213e225f9a0be10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Ashutosh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cengiz,

You should use the database studio or Database Manager GUI to manage the MaXDB database.Its a graphical tool and makes life easier for maxdb administrators ..

It can be installed on a remote machine/desktop and you can manage the DB remotely.

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/maxdb-downloads

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ashutosh,

Thanks.

My SID is "CE1". In the Config Tool, under "Connection Pool" with the SID, there is a User named "SAPCE1DB". I think the password is that what I have entered during the installation. But with this both (and when I change the user e. g. to "control"), I always got the error message "Error occurred during scanning the DB".

Is SAPCE1DB a service username, or where is it coming from?

The most important point in combination with this kind of MaxDB issue (so far I could read it in SCN) is the password. I believe only 8 chars were accepted, although you can define one with 9 chars.

Right now I have installed the Database Manager GUI for MaxDB (as Amit - below - has recommended), and I still try to fix the problem.

Cengiz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amit,

Thanks. I've installed the software. It's of course a good overview for administrative tasks, but could not help to fix the issue.

However, my steps as solution were:

1) Install the SAP NetWeaver CE 7.2 Trial version again with a password of eight chars (alphanumeric)

2) Start the MaxDB: <SID>-Service (under "Administrative Tools") manually

3) Start (or restart, if done before) the Server from the SAP MMC

These steps does also fix the error message "Error occured during scanning the DB" when the user tries to connect to the database with the Config Tool.

Thanks to all,

Cengiz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cengiz,

SAPCE1DB is the database schema user for the java database and same should be maintained in config tool.

You could use the control user to connect to MaxDB database instacne through DBMGUI.

My point was,if your DB is down ,you can check that from DBMGUI and could check the diagnostics files for maxdb database from there itself which could point out why the DB was not starting.

Its good that your issue is resolved.

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cengriz,

Its good that your problem was resolved. I give the following explanation to those who might be facing the same issue and spent hours like me trying to find the answer.

I had the same problem with my NW AS Java server. The only problem here is that MaxDB doesn't start since the credentials for the DBA are: username: control password: <NWAS Administrator password>.

Here is how I found this out:

1. Install Database Manager.

2. Open it and add the local server instance to it.

3. Connect. It asks for username and password. Enter the credentials as above. Point to remember here is that MaxDB has the user control in place of the administrator user. So, password becomes the same one for you use for NWAS.

4. Once connected, start the MaxDB instance. Remember, starting MaxDB through services is not the same and its recommended you do it through the Database Manager.

5. Once MaxDB is online, try restarting the NWAS Java node. It should start (atleast worked for me).

Regards

Pranshu

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, thanks to all for your help. Issue has been fixed (see my last reply to Amit).

Regards,

Cengiz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Can you make sure if the Database is up or not.  And make sure that the secure store in configtool has updated user credentials.

If the DB is oracle then also make sure the listener up  and running.

Check and get back to us.

Regards,
Mudasir.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

thanks. It's Max DB. I try to start it manually, but couldn't to it yet.

Cengiz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

Below are the dbmcli commands  to start the Max DB Instance. Check  the link for reference.

http://maxdb.sap.com/doc/7_6/default.htm

Start the database instance (transfer to the ONLINE operational state)

Call the Database Manager CLI, log on as operator DBM with the password DBM, connect to the database instance DEMODB, transfer to the ONLINE operational state:

>dbmcli –u DBM,DBM –d DEMODB db_online

OK

Stop the database instance (transfer to the OFFLINE operational state)

Call the Database Manager CLI, log on as operator DBM with the password DBM, connect to the database instance DEMODB, transfer to the OFFLINE operational state:

>dbmcli –u DBM,DBM –d DEMODB db_offline

OK

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Mudasir.