Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Zero Administration memory management

jialin_lijialin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Dear all,

I have installed additional 4G RAM to the IDES (ECC6) server AND my system is WIN2003 Server (32 byte). I have 2 questions for that:

1. Is Zero Administration memory management automatically actived or need some special step to active it?

2. I try to remove or increase the PHYS_MEMSIZE from the instance profile but SAP instance cannot start after that. What's wrong?

My environment is the host installed 1 SAP instance + SQL server and the RAM original is 4GB and the PHYS_MEMSIZE is 512 currently. Pls. guide me how to make the new RAM effective for SAP to use. Thanks.

Regards

Jialin

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jialin,

The profile parameter PHYS_MEMSIZE is used to specify the size of the main memory available for the SAP instance. If you remove this parameter , it implies no memory has been allocated to SAP application instance and hence it is not able to start.

For more details refer link : http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/3c/05863c6800924fe10000000a114084/content.htm

Regards,

Deepak Kori

jialin_lijialin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thank you for your reply. Base on SAP, the parameter could be not set and pls. check following from URL what you given :

PHYS_MEMSIZE

can be set in megabytes or as a percentage of the available main memory. You can also not set it at all. If this parameter is not set, the SAP system assumes that the whole main memory is available for the SAP instance.

Regards

Jialin

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jialin,

I missed out those lines from the link. Thank you.

When you remove the parameter , could you check the following

1) Is your database running or not ?

2) What is the error message in dev_w0 log file ?

Note: While performing installation, you might have allocated some portion of RAM to database. Say 1GB out of 4 GB RAM has been allocated to database. So when you remove the parameter PHY_MEMSIZE from instance profile , SAP application is left with only 3 GB RAM and not 4 GB.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

jialin_lijialin
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Thanks again and I have got the solution. The reason is caused by address space fragmentation and 32bit windows for memory access. Pls. check notes 129813. Among these solutions, I use the simplest one that is to open option of windows boot.ini for parameter "3GB" like following.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows Server 2003,

Enterprise" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut /3GB

Then I remove the PHY_MEMSIZE AND after that, everything works fine.

Regards

Jialin

Answers (0)