cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NWBC Error - Page not displaying correctly

Former Member
0 Kudos

Greetings,

I am currently attempting to launch NWBC (via SAPGUI, t-code NWBC) and am believe that the NWBC page is not rendering correctly.  See below:

If I click on the /nwbc link, I usually get this error:  Service cannot be reached

On occasion but very rarely, it takes me to this error:  The user menu tree is empty.

Although I would like to troubleshoot this issue myself, I am not even sure where to begin.  Can anyone kindly shed some light on this matter?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use HTTPWatch to determine if all ICF services that need to be active are indeed active. Also check that required backend authorizations are in place. See transaction SMICM -> Services to see what hostname the system is using to generate URLs. See also the trace file in the same transaction to locate any possible DNS issues.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the suggestions, I have tried the following:

HTTPWatch:

I installed HTTPWatch and proceeded to login to NWBC using Internet Explorer.  I did note that there was an issue with loading favicon.ico, which is reflective of what I am seeing in the browser.  The result code is 400, which according to the website means Client Error - The server returns these codes when they is a problem with the client's request.

Apart from this, I cannot tell what is happening.  As a precaution, I went to t-code SICF and confirmed that all ICF services under default_host\sap and default_host\sap_java have already been enabled.

SMICM

I went to t-code SMICM >> Services and noted that the hostname specified indeed IS the hostname of the server.  However, I am not sure if this needs to be changed to "localhost" as when the server was installed, the admin did not configure an FQDN.  This means that items such as the Portal can only be accessed through http://localhost:<portnum> rather than the hostname itself.  Not sure if this presents a problem here.

Within t-code SMICM, I then looked at the ICM trace logs and it appears there may be a potential issue:

[Thr 4268] Mon Feb 18 09:19:17 2013
[Thr 4268] HttpISubHandlerAdd: Added handler HttpAuthHandler(000000000208FA40), slot=4, flags=12293) for /, active: 1, table 0000000
[Thr 4268] HttpISubHandlerAdd: Added handler HttpSAPR3Handler(000000000CC6C3E0), slot=5, flags=4101) for /, active: 1, table 0000000
[Thr 4268] HttpISubHandlerAdd: Added handler HttpJ2EEHandler(000000000CC6C460), slot=6, flags=1077253) for /, active: 1, table 00000
[Thr 4268] Started service PORT=8000,PROT=HTTP,TIMEOUT=240,PROCTIMEOUT=600
[Thr 4268] Started service PORT=25000,PROT=SMTP,TIMEOUT=240,PROCTIMEOUT=240
[Thr 4268] Started service PORT=0,PROT=SMTP,TIMEOUT=120,PROCTIMEOUT=120
[Thr 4268] Mon Feb 18 09:19:22 2013
[Thr 4268] *** WARNING => IcmNetCheck: NiAddrToHost(10.0.0.1) took 5 seconds [icxxman.c    5618]
[Thr 4268] *** WARNING => IcmNetCheck: 1 possible network problems detected - please check the network/DNS settings [icxxman.c    56
[Thr 4228] Mon Feb 18 09:19:25 2013
[Thr 4228] HttpExtractArchive: files from archive C:\usr\sap\SOL\DVEBMGS00\exe/ITS.SAR in directory C:/usr/sap/SOL/DVEBMGS00/data/ic
[Thr 4252] Mon Feb 18 09:20:17 2013
[Thr 4252] *** WARNING => IcmCallAllSchedules: Schedule func 1 already running - avoid recursion [icxxsched.c  481]
[Thr 4264] Mon Feb 18 13:40:15 2013
[Thr 4264] {00060223} Traffic Control: Nettimeout (30) exceeded by peer: 127.0.0.1:52190 [icxxthr.c 4285]
[Thr 4264] CONNECTION (id=6/547):
    used: 1, type: default, role: Server(1), stateful: 0
    NI_HDL: 249, protocol: HTTP(1)
    local host:  127.0.0.1:8000 ()
    remote host: 127.0.0.1:52190 ()
    connect time: 18.02.2013 13:39:39
    MPI request:        <35>     MPI response:        <36>    request_buf_size:   0        response_buf_size:   0
    request_buf_used:   0        response_buf_used:   0
    request_buf_offset: 0        response_buf_offset: 0

What do you make of the IcmNetCheck error messages, particularly the one which says to check network/DNS settings?  I figured these would be part of the standard startup parameters and found the following list of ICM params:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/61/f5183a3bef2669e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

However, there are so many of them that it would be great if someone can narrow down some params that relate to this problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Localhost, really? Are you running the browser on the server hosting the SAP instance? Even then the generated URLs shouldn't be of form http://localhost, in your case they should be of form http://sapsol and preferably of form http://sapsol.somedomain.com.

Browser applications will require a valid FQDN to work properly. Since you are using the HTML edition of NWBC (which is infact a Web Dynpro ABAP application), the FQDN requirement applies.

You should make sure your server can resolve it's FQDN and also resolve from IP address to FQDN. If you are unable to do it on the OS level, you can use icm/host_name_full to force a FQDN but that FQDN has to be resolvable via DNS for clients to work. There are also requirements for FQDN, for example sapsol.intra.domain is not a valid FQDN but sapsol.sap.intra.domain is.

See the attached link.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73ehp1/helpdata/en/67/be9442572e1231e10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Excellent, I have just configured the FQDN and changed the parameters to reflect this:

SAPLOCALHOSTFULL

icm/host_name_full

I now get a slightly-better looking screen as shown below:

However, clicking /nwbc or any of the roles below provides the following screen:

This also appears when I try and access NWBC through the Windows front-end client.  This is confusing as I am sure I have assigned the necessary NWBC roles to the user (SUSER).

Does anyone have any ideas on why the user menu trees refuse to display?

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Bartz,

Which SAP solution you are trying to use NWBC for . ERP , SRM  ,GRC etc  ?

Regards

Amit

Former Member
0 Kudos

Are you sure the role that you picked has navigation entries in it? NWBC roles are PFCG roles but they need to have navigation nodes, eg. a menu structure besides authorization objects. See the attached link for details.

http://help.sap.com/erp2005_ehp_06/helpdata/en/46/bb443189242880e10000000a155369/frameset.htm

Former Member
0 Kudos

Amit, I am trying to access GRC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I am quite certain as I assigned the GRC NWBC roles to the user (I am trying to access GRC components, among other things).

I did some research and came across some others who had this same issue, where the NWBC ABAP roles assigned to the user still do not show the menu trees in NWBC.  The threads I found were:

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3156436

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3188450

Basically, both threads are pointing to SAP Note 1681453.  I follow the steps in Note 1681453 but once applied and attempted to bring up the instance, the message server starts up fine, but the Dispatcher has issues.  In the SAP MMC, it says that the Dispatcher is running, but failed to connect to the Message Server.

I wouldn't think Note 1681453 had anything to do with this problem, but the error with the Dispatcher connecting to the MS only happens when I perform this note.

Additionally, it was noted in thread 3188450 (link above) that this note was not always successful in restoring this problem.

I have 2 options now:

- Attempt to fix the dispatcher issue and see if the note truly fixes the NWBC tree menu problem

- Restore the VM to an earlier state before the note was applied, and try something else

Any thoughts?

As an aside, here are some key areas of the Dispatcher log after the note was applied:

*** WARNING => DpNetCheck: NiAddrToHost(1.0.0.0) took 5 seconds
***LOG GZZ=> 1 possible network problems detected - check tracefile and adjust the DNS settings [dpxxtool2.c  6406]

*** ERROR => MsIAttachEx: NiBufConnect to SAPSOL/3900 failed (rc=NIECONN_PENDING) [msxxi.c      718]
***LOG Q0L=> DpLoopInit, nomscon () [dpxxdisp.c   1762]
CCMS uses Shared Memory Key 73 for monitoring.
CCMS: SemInMgt: Semaphore Management initialized by AlAttachShm_Doublestack.
CCMS: SemInit: Semaphore 38 initialized by AlAttachShm_Doublestack.
CCMS: AlInitGlobals : alert/use_sema_lock = TRUE.
DpJ2eeLogin: j2ee state = CONNECTED
DpAppcBlksLow: max appc blocks in queue is 500 (50 %)
DpWpBlksLow: max wp blocks in queue is 800 (80 %)

*** ERROR => MsISnd2: not_attached [msxxi.c      1510]
***LOG Q0N=> DpRqNoWpHandle, MsSndName () [dpxxdisp.c   5168]
***LOG Q0N=> DpRqNoWpHandle, MsSndAdmin () [dpxxdisp.c   5252]
***LOG Q0N=> DpRqNoWpHandle, MsSndAdmin () [dpxxdisp.c   5252]

***LOG Q0I=> NiIRead: P=127.0.0.1:49484; L=127.0.0.1:65000: recv (10054: WSAECONNRESET: Connection reset by peer) [nixxi.cpp 5087]
*** ERROR => NiIRead: SiRecv failed for hdl 26/sock 1100
    (SI_ECONN_BROKEN/10054; I4; ST; P=127.0.0.1:49484; L=127.0.0.1:65000) [nixxi.cpp    5087]
DpJ2eeMsgProcess: j2ee state = CONNECTED (NIECONN_BROKEN)
DpIJ2eeShutdown: send SIGINT to SAP J2EE startup framework (pid=5880)
*** ERROR => DpProcKill: kill failed [dpntdisp.c   397]
DpIJ2eeShutdown: j2ee state = SHUTDOWN

*** ERROR => MsIAttachEx: NiBufConnect to SAPSOL/3900 failed (rc=NIECONN_PENDING) [msxxi.c      718]
Former Member
0 Kudos

Please create a new thread on your most recent issue, meaning the dispatcher unable to connect to the message server. The NetWeaver Administration space is the most suitable. Once your system is working again, we can try to figure out the NWBC problem you are seeing. Please tell the exact GRC role you are trying to use and also share SAP version, SP level and other relevant technical information.

I don't think applying the SAP note and the problem you are seeing are related. You would have had the issue regardless of the SAP note.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Correct, I was able to resolve the above problem with the dispatcher with a simple system restart and bringing the system back up.  Both message server and dispatcher are now in green status.

However, I just tried NWBC and still, there is no user tree meaning the note did not fix the issue.  Specifically, I am attempting to access the role:  SAP_GRC_NWBC.  I opened the role in PFCG and checked that there are menu items.

Thanks very much for all your help on this.

As an aside, I have both Solman 7.1 and GRC 10 installed, so any NWBC roles you can recommend that is applicable to either of these items I should be able to try.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As an update, I decided to login to SAPGUI and double-clicked on one of the menu entries from within the user menu in SAPGUI.  Internet Explorer loaded and was able to display the webdynpro successfully.  Therefore, it seems that the issue is with the initial NWBC page where when you click on each role, it is not reading the menu trees from these roles correctly.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There is a restriction in using GRC in a Solution Manager system, see SAP note 1664111.

Answers (0)