cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimization Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All:

I am working on SCM 5.0 and was wondering if there are any SAP recomendations for Optimization server.

Is Optimization server a standard requirement or has to be set up and how does it help performance wise.

Thank you for your input.

Mono

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member

Hai,

If the business demands usage of Optimizer for SNP or PP/DS or TP/VS, you need to have the optimizer server as an additional requirement to SCM 5.0 data base and Livecache servers.

SAP market place gives the detailed info about the hardware such as ITANIUM or INTEL, supported by SAP for optimization.

It is also suggested to use the optimizer sizing questionaire and if the no. of variables, constraints fall beyond the Medium category, it is recommended to contact SAP for sizing the server and avail their consultancy.

Regards,

Murali J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Muarali:

Thank you for your input, I was wondering how do I know if I have optimizer server.

I checked my <b>Optimization Server Master Data</b>. For the CTM01 identifier the status is active and RFC destination is defined and created by SAP back in 2000 but this is first time this has been changed to Active.

Please let me know how do I figure out that I have optimizer server or I require one.

Thank you.

Mono

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Mono,

If I have understood your question correctly, my response is as follows. Please pardon me otherwise.

If an optimizer server is connected to your APO/SCM system already, you can check through transaction SM59 -> RFC destinations -> TCP/IP connection. The connection status can be viewed here choosing the relevant RFC destination.

Also, you can use transaction /n/sapapo/opt09 where you can see the optimizer server version overview, which gives you the identifier and version. If the optimizer server is not connected, you can see "cannot determine version".

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Murali.J

Former Member
0 Kudos

also check SPRO for some more info....

APO-->Basis Settings >Optimization> Basic Functions --> Maintain Master Data for Optimization Server

this gives some settings including details if ur optimizer has been set up to be active or not

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello:

I checked the overview using tcode n/sapapo/opt09, the optimizer server is not connected, "cannot determine version". Can I still run CTM for a prototype which has just 50 products, 4 locations.

Please advice.

Thank you

Mono

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

When /sapapo/opt09 says "cannot determine version", this means that optimizer sever is not reachable.

Hence, there is no use of running an optimization job.

Please get the server configured and ensure that the connection is established before running the optimizer job.

Regards,

Murali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali:

Thanks for the help, Q. I cant even run a small subset of data using CTM?

Also it will be great if can please elaborate on how to configure the optimizer server and what are its requirements.

Thank you

Mono

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

I am indicating the steps for establishing connection to optimizer server:

1. Through transaction, SM59, please configure RFC connection for CTM optimization.Specify the RFC destination-OPTSERVER_CTM01, connection type to be TCP/IP connection, Activation type -Start on explicit host, program- specify the optimizer executable file through the path where the file is saved in the server and also specify the IP address of the server in the field "target host" and "IP address".

2. Then SPRO->APO ->Basis settings->Optimization -> Maintain master data for optimization server -> choose the RFC destination against the CTM1 identifier and complete the other fields such as module, active status, max. user allowed etc.,

3. You can now check the status through /sapapo/opt09 and most probably it should be ready for you to run the optimization job.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Murali.J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Murali:

When I try to connect through tranaction SM59, OPTSERVER_CTM01 is looking to connect to p188336 and program d:\apoopt\ctm\bin\ctmsvr.exe. Looks like a pc or what because it doesn't look like any server IP address.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mono

brian_imburg
0 Kudos

from the previous post:

Through transaction, SM59, please configure RFC connection for CTM optimization.Specify the RFC destination-OPTSERVER_CTM01, connection type to be TCP/IP connection, Activation type -Start on explicit host, <b>program- specify the optimizer executable file through the path where the file is saved in the server</b> and also specify the IP address of the server in the field "target host" and "IP address".

Your question is where is that executable. Where do we get it, and how do we configure it. Correct? Because that is my question.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali /Brian:

As per Brian's question, its exactly what I am looking too. <b>Activation type -Start on explicit host, program- specify the optimizer executable file through the path where the file is saved in the server and also specify the IP address of the server in the field "target host" and "IP address".</b>

A bit more detail on the above highlightened statement would help pin down where to configure it.

Mono

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Murali /Brian:

As per Brian's question, its exactly what I am looking for. <b>Activation type -Start on explicit host, program- specify the optimizer executable file through the path where the file is saved in the server and also specify the IP address of the server in the field "target host" and "IP address".</b>

A bit more detail on the above highlightened statement would help pin down where to configure it.

Mono

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

p188336 is the ip address of the optimizer server currently you have configured in the system. It could be PC also, depending on the requirement or if it is development environment. d:\apoopt\ctm\bin\ctmsvr.exe is the CTM optimizer executable file saved in "d:\" directory of the optimizer server or pc whatever. This executable file, if not available currently, it can also be downloaded from SAP marketplace.

Regards,

Murali.J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Murali:

Thank you so much, I was wondering if there is any documentation on required hardware in this regard. Also I went through some OSS notes which mentions about sizing requirements. A little more light on this would really help.

Mono

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai,

I am attaching the documentation about Optimizer hardware, downloaded from SAP market place.

SAP APO Optimizer Requirements for SAP APO 3.0/3.1 and SAP SCM 4.0/4.1

Introduction

This document summarizes the technical requirements for the SAP APO Optimizer for SAP APO 3.x and SAP SCM 4.x (for APO 4.x). Please, choose the topic you are interested in :

Optimizer Architecture & Optimizer Models

Operating System Support

General Hardware Requirements

Optimizer Sizing Examples :

Go directly to the SNP Optimizer Sizing Calculator which gives you a first approximation, based on your business figures, about the amount of variables and constraints used for your SNP Optimization model. You can compare these results with the Optimizer Sizing Examples below and correspondingly decide if your Optimization model fits into the "Small", "Medium" or "Large" category.

PP/DS Optimizer Sizing Calculator (released only for SAP and Partners until enough Feedback is available) : This sheet gives you an approximation about Main Memory requirements and complexity for your PP/DS Optimizer runs.

TP/VS Sizing Tips, including TP/VS Optimizer Sizing (released only for SAP and Partners until enough Feedback is available).

Optimizer Load Balancing Guidelines

Optimizer Recommendations and Test Guidelines before going live : This document summarizes useful tips and test guidelines recommended before going live with the SAP APO Optimizer.

Optimizer Sizing Service Offering : SAP has set up a specialized consulting initiative with focus on SAP APO Optimization projects. You can contact them if you need advice.

-

Optimizer Architecture & Optimizer Models

The SAP APO Optimizer is one of the architecture components of SAP APO in addition to the SAP APO database server, SAP APO application server and SAP liveCache. Whereas database server, application server and SAP liveCache are required SAP APO architecture components, the Optimizer is optional. You can also perform your Supply Chain Planning runs using heuristic approaches instead of using the Optimizer. Furthermore, with the Optimization Extension Workbench, you can integrate your own Optimizers with SAP APO.

From the technical point of view, the SAP APO Optimizers are C++ executables built on top of C++ optimization libraries. The SAP APO Optimizer does not require an RDBMS and is therefore not backup and recovery relevant. However, as a high availability solution for server failures, you may want to use Cluster technology for the Optimizer server : Please, ask your hardware partner for Cluster technology and High Availability recommendations.

The C++ Optimizers run Supply Chain Optimization algorithms on a server, usually in batch mode. To run these algorithms, the Optimizers temporarily retrieve data from the SAP APO Database or from the liveCache, depending on the Optimizer type. There are different Optimizer types. Optimizers such as the SNP, CTM, SEQ, ND, VSR Optimizers are connected via RFC to the SAP APO application server and do not retrieve data directly from the SAP liveCache but via application server connection, whereas the PP/DS Optimizer retrieves data directly from the SAP liveCache.

In general, SAP APO Optimizers are single-process, that is, one Optimizer run uses only one computing process, although planners can run different Optimization jobs in parallel. Furthermore, an approach comparable to load balancing can be achieved by running different Optimizers (SNP, PP/DS, etc.) in parallel on one multiprocessor server or on different servers. In the Optimizer customizing workbench or using the transaction sm59, you can specify which and how many servers are to be used for your different Optimizer runs : A new optimization process will be automatically dispatched to the optimizer server with highest priority; for several servers with the same priority, the server with the smallest number of active optimization jobs will be chosen.

Moreover, the PP/DS Optimizer supports several optimizer processes solving a single optimization problem in parallel. Therefore, the PP/DS optimizer can benefit from a multiprocessor server for solving a single problem.

-

Operating System Support

The SAP APO Optimizer is currently supported on Windows NT/Intel Server Enterprise Edition 4.0 (only SAP APO 3.0A) and for the rest of APO 3.x or SCM 4.x releases it is supported on Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows Server 2003, all Editions (Standard Edition, Enterprise Edition, Datacenter Edition). For more details about the operating system support for the Optimizer and further SAP APO architecture components, please see :

Availability of DB & OS Platforms for SAP SCM 4.0

Availability of DB & OS Platforms for SAP APO 3.1

Availability of DB & OS Platforms for SAP APO 3.0A

In order to be able to use more main memory than 2 GB per process, the /3GB Boot Option (4 GB RAM Tuning feature) must be set on your NT/Intel Server Enterprise Edition 4.0, Windows 2000 Advanced Server or Windows Server 2003. The 4 GB RAM Tuning feature enables a 3 GB area of user-mode memory for programs to use.

-

Hardware Requirements

For all Optimizers which do not use LP-techniques, e.g. VSR and PP/DS Optimizer, including the campaign Optimizer for the process industry and the sequence Optimizer for the automotive industry, the CPU clock speed is the critical hardware requirement. For these Optimizers, a standard server with 512 MB RAM is sufficient.

For all Optimizers using LP-techniques, e.g. the SNP and Deployment Optimizer, including the Vehicle Allocation Optimizer for the automotive industry, both main memory size and CPU clock speed are critical hardware requirements.

The following recommendations apply :

CPU Speed : At least 1,4 GHz, in order to minimize the Optimization run time. The Optimization run time significantly decreases, almost linearly, with higher CPU speed. Since most Optimizers are single-process, especially if you are planning to run one Optimizer at a time, a multiple CPU server won't necessarily present any advantage compared to a 1-CPU server with high clock speed.

CPU Type : It is recommended to use Intel Pentium 4 or Intel Xeon Processors.

Paging File Size : >= 4 GB

Hard disk : >= 20 GB. Please, note that the Optimizer is not storage relevant. Therefore, it has no especial hard disk requirements. However, you need disk for the operating system, and, for example, for temporary data and swap operations. We have set 20 GB as possible standard hard disk size for NT or Windows 2000 servers in the market but this amount of storage is not expected to be used for the Optimizer operations.

General Recommendations for all Optimizers :

For productive use or stress tests, especially because of the limited main memory addressing capabilities of 32-Bit operating systems, we strongly recommend installing the SAP APO Optimizer on a separate server and not together with the rest of SAP APO or SCM 4.x architecture components or further applications. Please, avoid to run several optimization processes in parallel on a single processor server : running two jobs in parallel will double the run time.

For test purposes, you may install the Optimizer together with further applications on one server, as long as there are enough hardware resources or hardware resource distribution possibilities available on this server.

If several Optimizers are running in parallel on one server, the Main Memory requirements and required amount of CPUs per server will grow. You can also use several 1-CPU Optimizer servers for several Optimization runs in parallel.

-

Sizing Examples for SNP and Deployment Optimizer

We can group these optimization models in 2 categories :

Discrete Models with discrete and continuous variables

Continuous Models with continuous variables

The model complexity is usually measured in terms of the amount of discrete and continuous variables and amount of constraints.

Discrete variables have an impact on the optimization complexity. They are generated in order to increase the model accuracy (e.g. using minimal / discrete lot size in production and transportation, etc.). The so called discrete models (containing discrete variables) are much harder to solve. In particular, during optimization the generated search tree may increase resulting in a memory consumption growth with longer run times. In contrast, for an optimization problem without discrete variables the memory consumption peak is independent of the given run time.

Three sizing examples will be shown based on the size of the Optimization model and the required amount of hardware resources. The runtime and memory requirements are highly dependent on the complexity, structure and numerical proportions of the Optimization model (this is especially true for discrete models). Therefore the sizing examples below give merely a rough approximation about the hardware requirements. In order to check if your hardware resources for the Optimization server are fully adequate for your business needs, it is mandatory to test the performance of your Optimizer runs using representative volume data before going productive.

Before looking at the sizing examples, please, use first the SNP Optimizer Sizing Calculator which will give you a first approximation, based on your business figures, about the amount of variables and constraints used for your SNP Optimization model. You can compare these results first with the business examples available in the SNP Optimizer Sizing Calculator table above and afterwards with the Optimizer Sizing examples below and correspondingly decide if your Optimization model fits into the "Small", "Medium" or "Large" hardware requirements category. The SNP Sizing Calculator is valid for SAP APO 3.x and SAP SCM 4.x. Some parameter or profile specifics for discrete models may be SAP APO release dependent but these eventual differences between SAP APO releases will be properly documented.

S : Small SAP APO Optimization Model :

Continuous Model : with up to 400.000 continuous variables and 200.000 constraints.

Discrete Model : with up to 100.000 continuous variables, 5.000 discrete variables and 50.000 constraints.

The Optimization server requirements are :

1 CPU per Optimizer Run (Intel Pentium 4) with at least 1,4 GHz.

&#8805; 512 MB RAM

&#8805; 20 GB Hard Disk.

M : Medium SAP APO Optimization Model :

Continuous Model : with up to 1.000.000 continuous variables and 500.000 constraints.

Discrete Model : with up to 300.000 continuous variables, 50.000 discrete variables and 200.000 constraints.

The Optimization server requirements are :

1 CPU per Optimizer Run (Intel Pentium 4) with at least 1,7 GHz.

&#8805; 1-2 GB RAM

&#8805; 20 GB Hard Disk.

L : Large APO Optimization Model :

For models Larger than medium Size M, the Optimization server requirements are :

1 CPU per Optimizer Run (Intel Pentium 4) with at least 2,0 GHz.

&#8805; 3-4 GB RAM

&#8805; 20 GB Hard Disk.

Please, take the following into account :

In case the amount of constraints and variables for your planned optimization model exceeds :

for discrete models either 100.000 discrete variables or 500.000 constraints

for continuous models either 1.000.000 variables or 500.000 constraints

please contact SAP for further advice. SAP has set up a specialized consulting initiative with focus on SAP APO Optimization projects. Please, click here for more information about this service .

You can do the sizing by downloading the questionaire from the SAP qucik sizer site at market place.

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Murali.J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi:

I know this question should have been my first one, but <b>why do we need this in first place an extra server when we already have database or livecache servers.</b>

Thank you.

Mono

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hai Mono,

I guess Optimizer needs to be in a separate server in view of high memory requirement. In this connection, I am reproducing below a SAP document about sizing, where in there is a clear recommendation to have separate server.

Quote:

SAP APO Optimizer sizing

CPU and memeory requirements

! At least 1.4 GHz, in order to minimize the Optimization run time

! At least 512 MB RAM

! It is recommended to use Intel Pentium IV.

! The SNP Optimizer has higher Memory requirements compared to the other

optimizers

Disk requirements

! &#8805; 20 GB. The Optimizer is not storage relevant. Therefore, it has no especial

hard disk requirements. However, you need disk for the operating system, e.g.

for temporary data and swap operations, etc.

! For productive use or stress tests, it is strongly recommended to install the SAP

APO Optimizer on a separate server and not together with the rest of SAP APO

architecture components or further applications. This is not only related to

required Hardware resources but to operating system memory management

limitations.

Unquote

-

Hope this helps you in getting convinced for separate server requirement.

Regards,

Murali.J

Former Member
0 Kudos

Murali:

Thanks for your response, I am finding it hard to make the case for why do need this optimizer server and what is gonna be effected without it.

Is that true when you run CTM planning, the SCM is designed to look for RFC connecting to optimizer server?

Thank you again.

Mono

somnath_manna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mono,

For doing CTM planning you need to have Optimization engine available on an Optimization Server.

Thanks,

Somnath

Answers (0)