cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SM21 logs related actions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts,

I would like to know, as to when do we specifically take action seeing the logs in SM21.

I mean what could be the various scenarios on which a Basis administrator takes action.

Thanks in advance.

Swaroop.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

The SAP System logs all system errors, warnings, user locks due to failed logon attempts from known users, and process messages in the system log. There are to two different types of logs created by the system log:

• Local Logs
  • Central Logs

Use transaction SM21 to access the system log output screen. With this transaction, you can read any of the messages that are contained in the system logs. You can modify the view to meet your needs.

All the system related activities like user lock, work process getting termianted, any ABAP dumps occuring, switch of Operational modes, operating system SAP Exe's failure , so on ...

If you find any of these logs, as a administrator you should need to look into at high priority...

System log in simple, is like system event recorder... All the logs are updated here.

Like event viewer in windows operating system, for SAP system we have System log .. We can access the system log using SM21 tcode.

I hope it helps.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Vimal, its a satisfactory explanation.

Regards,

Swaroop.

Answers (0)