cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate the LOBSEGMENTS

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

during the database export checks, looking at the biggest dba_segments in the DB i found that for a database of 110 GB the biggest segments are 4 LOBSEGMENT, (first one 13 GB, second 10GB, 3rd 4 GB and 4th 3 GB).

Database is oracle 11g.

Is there a special handling for the lobsegments that are 10% the size of the db? How can i split them, migrate them?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You don't need to split the LOBSEGEMENTS whatever the size of it.

Please split only the tables based on it size.

A LOB segment is a portion (segment) of physical storage where the data related to a LOB is recorded.

When you define a LOB column in a table, you (optionally) have to supply the parameters of where you want the rdbms to store the data related to that column.

A LOB is simply a pointer.  It points to an index.  the index points to the chunks that

make up the LOB.Hence when you create a LOB, you will always get a lob index created (to find the chunks  for the lob fast) and a segment that holds the lob data (chunks).

You can only "delete" it by dropping the table or column that contains the LOB.

Thanks and regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Joseph,

thanks for reply. The tables i will do with table splitting yes.

Now during the export can i ignore the LOBsegments, i mean not drop them but just let the sapinst do the export... what i mean is i don't need to do anything special knowing that they are there .. right?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can just ignore these LOB segments.

I have done export & import for DB of more than 10 TB also..I have never touched thiese LOB Segments.

You should just spilt only the tables not the LOB_SEGEMENTS.

So please just split the largest tables and use sapinst to export and import.

Rest of the things, SAPINST will take care..

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Vimal!!!

Answers (0)