Did you mean: 

Deleting Locks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production

With the Partitioning, OLAP and Oracle Data Mining options

JServer Release 9.2.0.7.0 - Production

System: Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition

Can someone please provide the steps needed to cleanly delete locks in SAP??

Thank you for your time.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Rajan,

Thank you for your reply. If you delete a user from SM12 Lock Entry List and he has a lock on one of the tables would that cause a database corruption?

Thanks again

former_member195032
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

No,it will not .It just lock the entry,it will not affect anything.I am using this from years.Nothing will happen,just delete and enjoy..

and donot forget to give me points.

Cheers,Nishant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello algotube,

<b>Warning:</b> Only delete lock entries if you are sure that they are invalid and can be deleted without impairing an active process (user session, update, and so on).

Deleting a lock held by active users may result in data loss or inconsistencies

Nishant,

How do you use transaction SM12 to lock any entry in SAP system?

I strongly disagree with your above replies. You cannot set locks, you can only view / delete them from transaction SM12.

If you are blindly deleting the lock entires all these years, thinking nothing would go wrong (as you mentioned in your reply above), Then I would suggest you to go through the link below.

Check the following link for more details:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/37/a2e3ae344411d3acb00000e83539c3/frameset.htm

Regards,

Ammey Kesarkar

<i>'Award points for useful info'</i>

former_member195032
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ammey,

If you log in SM12 for the first time ,it defaults to the your USERID and you always know if you are the user to kill which thing.

Where is it written in the link provided by you that it will make data inconsistant

Rather it is mentioned like "The SAP lock concept works in close conjunction with the SAP update facility, which is described in the section entitled Update in SAP System".

Any transaction which is given by SAP handles a complete functionality and it take care of all the updates.

So far,I have not faced any issue in killing any of my session using SM12 transaction.

Whatever you have said is correct,I am not saying delete whatever you like using SM12,analyze the problem and then delete.

regards,Nishant

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Nishant,

algotube's query: <i>"If you delete a user from SM12 Lock Entry List and he has a lock on one of the tables would that cause a database corruption? "</i>

As per the query raised by algotube, he was talking in generic about users & not exclusively his own user id.

Your question: <i>Where is it written in the link provided by you that it will make data inconsistant?</i>

Click on the link from my previous post & Navigate to

Managing Lock Entries Use ---> Deleting Lock Entries ---> Procedure

Nishant, probably you have not faced any problems deleting entries from SM12 because you analyzed the lock situation before deleting it.

I thought, I better caution algotube just incase he misinterprets your reply.

Regards,

Ammey Kesarkar

NB: Nishant, no offence meant Thank you for taking it in good spirit

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

First thank you Nishant and Ammey for your replies. I am pretty new to SAP and just learning as I go.

<i>As per the query raised by algotube, he was talking in generic about users & not exclusively his own user id.</i> Yes you are correct Ammey I was talking about all users and not my own user id.

Thanks again

former_member195032
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Use Transaction SM12 to lock any entry in SAP system.

I hope,this is what you are looking at.

regards,nishant

please reward points if this helps