cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUM giving an error : Canot detect NWDI system role

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I am trying to patch a SAP NW CE 7.2 system from SP1 to SP8.I had issues for 2 software components while trying to patch using the standard patching tool JSPM.

So I thought of patching just those 2 components using another tool - SUM- Software Update Manager.

In this tool it gives me an error - Cannot detect NWDI system role. Could not get NWDI system role from CVERS. com.sap.sl.util.cvers.api.CVersAccessException: CMSRTS, getModifiedComponents: unknown DB schema, can not write data com.sap.sl.util.cvers.api.CVersAccessException: CMSRTS, getModifiedComponents: unknown DB schema, can not write data

On the JSPM screen it says "System is not under NWDI control" which is correct.The guy who had installed this system has also included the usage type DI which was not needed in the first place.No initial configuration  NWDI  have been ever performed on this system and still while JSPM is not complaining on the NWDI role,SUM is complaining. Do I have to do some initial setup wrt NWDI component so that SUM will pick the right NWDI role.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Resolved after updating Oracle Client on Central Instance.

cengiz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Ranjot,

we have the same problem and have oracle client version 11.2.0.3.0.

Can you please provide the oracle client version which did solve the problem.

Best regards,

Cengiz

Former Member
0 Kudos

I had updated Oracle Client to 11.2.0.2. That resolved my problem for SUM giving the error : Cannot detect NWDI system role and proceeded to next steps.

cengiz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Ranjot,

thanks for reply, my problem is also solved.

The OCL version 11.2.0.3 was not the problem, I did not seen that one config file used by configtool had an entry to 10x_64 folder. After changing the step "detecting NWDI role" could also proceed without problems.

Best regards,

Cengiz

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Cengiz,

How did you change the step "Detecting NWDI Role"?

Many thanks

Maria

cengiz
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Maria,

I changed the oracle client version on the CE 7.20 system from 10.2 to 11.2.

After changing (update) the oracle client version, the step "Detecting NWDI Role" could proceed without problems.

During the step "Detecting NWDI Role", SUM try to get this information from the database and can only connect with OCL version 11.2. If your CE 7.20 system use lower version of the OCL, than you get the error - Cannot detect NWDI system role.

1. Update oracle client version to 11.2

2. Resume SUM and start from the beginning, only repeating the phase did not help

Hope, I could help.

Best regards,

Cengiz

0 Kudos

I am having the same issue. Which config file did you change? I am already using Oracle Client 11.2.0.2.

0 Kudos

We found the solution to my problem? I was using the Oracle Client 10, but only because I had inadverdently left the j2ee/dbdriver parameter pointing to the old 10x client. After changing that parameter, restarting SAP, and restarting the SUM process from the very beginning I was able to move past this error. I might not have had to restart the SUM process, but I was only doing support packs (4 stacks) so it was not a big deal for me to restart.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

i am also facing same problem while applying patch using JSPM, it says below error.

An error has occurred during the execution of the JSPM_MAIN phase.

Cannot initialize application data. Cannot detect NWDI system role. Could not get NWDI system role from CVERS. com.sap.sl.util.cvers.api.CVersAccessException: CMSRTS, getModifiedComponents: unknown DB schema, can not write data com.sap.sl.util.cvers.api.CVersAccessException: CMSRTS, getModifiedComponents: unknown DB schema, can not write data

can you please help here to resolve this issue. As you said before we need to change j2ee/dbdriver parameter, it will be helpful if you provide the steps.

Regards,

Vino

0 Kudos

Hi Vinoth. It has  been a while since we had this issue. But, the parameter is simply in RZ10. For us it was in the instance profile, but it could be in the default profile. I am not sure why that parameter was explicitly set to begin with. But, because it was pointing to the old Oracle client it did not throw an error and simply used the wrong version. This caused the confusion with the upgrade and gave us the error you are seeing. I hope this helps.

If you don't see it in one of your profiles in RZ10, then go to RZ11 and simply see what it is set to.

Michael

Answers (0)