Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Note on the impact of appending custom fields to a standard table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

Could you please help me with information on :

1. The impact of appending custom fields to a standard table - i.e., the impact on the (performance of) standard programs and function modules

2. Is there any SAP note, or a link, mentioning that there is 'no adverse impact/effect' (on the standard programs / function modules) due to appending custom fields to a standard table through a custom include (.INCLUDE).

I've searched through many SAP notes, but haven't found any.

Our customer would like to see a confirmation from SAP in the form of SAP Note or any document provided by SAP that there will be 'no impact/effect' by doing so.

Thanks in advance for your response.

B.Regards,

Halaswamy

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

adam_krawczyk1
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Halaswamy,

It is recommended to use Append Structure approach if you want to add new fields to standard table. In this way you safely enhance and not modify the table. This also ensures that your new columns are added at the end of table and this is desired, as Maria already mentioned. Standard program may rely on fields order not names that is why keeping original order is essential.

It is important to use customer naming convention (ZZ or YY) to avoid possible conflicts with same name after standard table update in the future.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw04/helpdata/en/cf/21eb61446011d189700000e8322d00/content.htm

Sometimes if we want to use standard program and enhance its behavior it is not possible to use new table definition (as copy of existing with new fields). In such case appending customized fields is needed. I would say that there is no performance issue with that unless you make it smart. Of course if you add hundreds of new fields, you may notice performance degradation when standard program intensively uses / copies rows of tables - then your new fields handling may have impact.

In case of few new fields are appended as Append Structure at the end of standard table, if you keep ZZ* YY* names for fields, you should not notice performance difference and functionality of standard program will stay same (enhanced with your customized code).

Regards,

Adam

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

It is not recommended to insert custom fields in standard program.

I would suggest you to check with your ABAPer. They will be able to modify the program and ensure that there won't be any impact of this.

There are no SAP notes for your query.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Vimal,

Thanks for your response.

However, my query is about adding custom fields to a standard table not to a standard program.

Any inputs on this would be welcome.

B. Regards,

Halaswamy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi ,

Untill you don't change the sequence of the table structure, there won't be any problem.

Usually ABAPer's will copy the standard table to Ztable and modify it according .

As far as I know it is possible. There won't be any problem.

But please get the help of ABAPer to perfor this task.

THanks and Regards,

Vimal