cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DR Setup for Production on SQL Server 2005

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We are planning to configure Disaster Recovery for production system. I tried to search however am not clear on most of the things so i wanted to know below information.

complexity, hardware requirements, license,  maintenance, switch over functioning?

what are the steps need to perform?

if anyone provide document on this it would be helpful to me.

My OS: WIndows 2003 X64

DB: SQL Server 2005 SP2

SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5

Thanks,

Venkat

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

There are a few ways to do this.  But essentially you need to install the DR system as if it were a new installation on the target host but use the database from Live.  You can either copy the db files as they are now (fastest) or backup/restore the db files or export/import (slowest).  Thereafter the best way to keep it updated is to leave SAP down and set up log shipping from live to DR.  You can license the target system as you would normally, but there is no extra license cost.

If you install the target system with the switch SAPINST_USE_HOSTNAME=<source hostname / Virtual hostname> then you are unlikely to need to do much in SAP other than change the link to the database server in the instance profiles (abap stack) and configtool (Java).

hope this helps,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your information. As per my understanding

1. I need to request a license for DR server and here no extra cost is required for this server.

2. Request a hardware same as Production system.

3. It is a New system so I am going to install new server with backup/restore method of PRD.

4. Stop SAP and Setup Log shipping from Live Server to DR Server.

Kinldy answer below my doubts:

Here how to setup log shipping from Live server to DR Server?

When disaster happen, what are the steps need to be performed to make DR Server available for bussiness?

How much time it is required ?

How much estimated data loss will be there?

Thanks,

Venkat

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

1. Log shipping is a fairly standard SQL Server function and your DB admin's should be able to set this up in an hour or two.

2. In a DR situation you will need to:

• repoint DNS to the new server IP
  • change the hostname of the server hosting the DB in the instance profile of the ABAP stack and using Visual Admin for the Java engine.
  • Start up the instance - note: once started it becomes 'live', so you will have to copy the db back to produciton once it's back up and running.

There will be other steps depending upon your environment, like re-pointing interfacing systems,etc, but you need to find and document these as part of your Business Continuity plans.  You'd do well to talk the the Business Continuity team for help in this.

3, Loss of data will depend upon how often the logs are shipped.  If you lose the entire production system, then only the data already shipped will be saved.  Once again the DB admin's can specify how often to ship logs.  This needs to tie into the company's agreed strategy for business data.

hope that helps,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Check this thread. It might be helpful too.

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1477507

Regards,

Mudasir.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mudasir,

Thanks for your reply.

you have given thread for MSCS method, here am looking to setup a new server with same SID as production.

we have production on distributed environment and we wanted to setup DR as central system.

@Deepak,

Thanks for you reply, already i have gone through given thread but i did not understand much. please answer my doubts like how do we plan for hardware requirement, licensing( here SID will be same) and what are switch-over functionality we have in SQL.

How do we perform?

please advise.

Thanks,

Venkat

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat

1)  how do we plan for hardware requirement, licensing( here SID will be same)

Soln: Hardware and OS should be same like Production. You need to request separate system license for DR through SAP Market place. SID will be same as that of Production.

2) what are switch-over functionality we have in SQL. How do we perform?

Soln: Check this link http://documentation.commvault.com/hds/release_9_0_0/books_online_1/english_us/prod_info/sql_replica...

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkat,

Refer link http://scn.sap.com/thread/879853 for information on setting up DR for MSSQL.

Regards,

Deepak Kori