cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Required Software component versions

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we are developping applications for de J2EE server 640 sp13 .

We are using the JDI on Netweaver 2004s (J2EE 700) .

When we build our applications in the JDI should we use the 640 versions of BUILDT, TECH and JEE or is it ok if we use the 700 versions.

What is the impact of using 700 and deploying on 640 ?

Also once you start with 700 in a buildspace, can you decide to reimport 640 instead... ? I've been having problems with builds since I've tried this on a project.

Do we need to use the same Support package ?

I suppose so ! Where can we find all the corrects sca's if we don't have the DVD's or other media's available.

Thanks .

Thierry

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thierry,

the versions of BUILDT/TECHS/JEE must have the same version as the platform where you want to deploy the results.

If you use J2EE Server 6.40sp13 you have to use BUILDT/TECHS/JEE 6.40sp13.

Using 7.00 and deploying on 6.40 may result in complete failure of you applications, esp. if you use WebDynpro. For pure J2EE you may be lucky.

Going back to older archives is theoretically possible (builds do not change sources, so unless you made special modifications after upgrading this should be no problem), but CMS may give you strange error messages...

You can find 6.40 SCAs on the Service market place by following: Support Packages and Patches-> SAP NetWeaver-> SAP NETWEAVER-> SAP NETWEAVER 04-> Entry by Component-> Development Infrastructure-> JDI BUILD TOOL 6.40-> #OS independent

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

do you also know if the developer studio must match the version of the runtime you deploy to or is it backwards compatible ? So far , I am using Developer studio 7 with servers on Java AS 6.40 and have no problems but I'm a bit worried I will run into some at a point.

Thank you

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thierry,

yes, same rule: developer studio must match the version of the runtime.

As I mentioned you may be lucky depending on what you actually use. The strict requirement of identical version is really a technical requirement for Web Dynpro because the coupling of editor (delivered with NWDS), DC build logic (delivered as part of SAP_BUILDT) and runtime (delivered with Java AS) is rather tight.

For many other DC types (esp. basic J2EE stuff) there is practically no difference, thus you can get away with using "mixed" versions, but in case of problems you may not get official support until you use the same versions. Please note that this of course also depends on what you are using and if or how that is compatible between the different releases.

Regards,

Marc

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Marc,

I understand about the requirements for web dynpro. I thought since the archives (JEE , BUILDT and TECHS) are downloaded from the CMS and we set the appropriate versions for the server runtimes there, the applications should be built in accordance to the server runtime too.

In our case , we don't use web dynpro so far but its not easy to have our whole landscape of J2EE servers evolve at the same time.

Another issue we may have is that when we apply our support packs, they are applied gradually . First we do our C&B , then the dev (a few days latter) , the QA and much later production. I suppose we can get away with this by importing the required libraries (JEE, BUILDT and TECHS) at the same rate as the environment evolves ?

Thanks again for your help Marc.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Use the versions similar to where you are deploying to.

We had NWDI on a J2EE 700

EP running on 640.

ISA running on 700.

We used 640 versions in our software track for EP.

We used 700 versions in our software track for ISA.

This worked fine for us.

You can upgrade the software components in your software track through JSPM. I thus assume you can 'downgrade' as well.