cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the need for row store table?

0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

I understand how row store and column store works, Im also aware we cant use row store in modeling for views. My question is if we cant model using the table why should we have them?. Is is possible to convert a row store table to column base table once the data is loaded into table? so that i can use it for modeling.

Is there a bussiness scenario we use write optimizied row store table and dont use them in modeling. Can any one throw some lights on it. Im bit confused on this topic.

Regards,

Vinoth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Vinoth,

Row stores are generally system tables which need faster and frequent updates. For example, if you consider BW on HANA, then there are many tables managed by BW like RSD* tables which contain the metadata information about the BW application. These tables are updated very frequently and hence are modeled as ROW tables. Please note that since these tables do not contain 'Application data', it is not used for Reporting and hence need not be column tables.

You can convert a ROW table to COLUMN using ALTER TABLE statement. Please refer to the following link for the details.

http://help.sap.com/hana/html/sql_alter_table.html#alter_table_table_conversion_clause

Regards,

Ravi

0 Kudos

Thanks Ravi,

For clarifying the question.I got your point.

Regards,

Vinoth

Answers (0)