cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using PI as an Email Engine

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have an application whose users want emails to be delivered directly into their system. The software they use has no email engine of it's own so they need another way of doing this. It was suggested PI could help them out. Having been asked to investigate my initial plan would be for the following to happen:

1. Mail Sender Adapter configured to poll from relevant exchange account via POP3

• This will bring email plus any associated attachment into PI
  • Outbound message has two components
    • Mail Message
      • This is the mail message split into From, To, Subject, Content etc
    • Mail Attachment-1
      • This is the attachment i.e. a word document

I have set this up and it works as expected.

2. SOAP Recevier Adapter configured to pass email details to back end application via Web Service

• Mail Message would be mapped into back end application web service
    • This would be From, To, Subject, Content etc as defined within the Mail structure

Question is what happens to the attachment within Mail Attachment-1 ?

My guess was that perhaps we forward a link to the attachment in the back end application web service. The attachment itself remains somewhere in the SAP infrastructure until it is opened via the link provided to the back end app. At that point they open and save the attachment locally.

Am I in the right ball park ? Bottom line is getting the email contents to a receiving app is easy. It's just getting the receiving app in connection with any associated attachments which I need some guidance on.

Cheers,

PaulC.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Looking around the web I can see mention of the PayloadSwapBean but I'm not sure if this is what I need. Just to summarise again what I am trying to do (if possible):

• Message picked up in PI using POP3/Mail sender adapter
  • Mail message (i.e from, to, subject, content etc) in MailMessage within Payload
  • Attachment (i.e a word document, excel, txt etc) in MailAttachment-1 within Payload

I now want to send both the contents of Mail Message AND MailAttachment-1 to a back end application via web service. If this simply isn't possible then I can rule out PI as an option.

Cheers,

PaulC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Been thinking further on this and maybe the only answer is the PayloadSwapBean. The screenshot below is PI picking up an email via Mail Adapter using POP3. As you can see there is the MailMessage component and one attachment:

Latest thinking on this is that perhaps the MailMessage could be sent via web service while the attachment is sent via File adapter. Is it even possible to have 2 receiver adapters for the same message ? Starting to think to have PI acting as an email engine isn't really possible.

PaulC.

baskar_gopalakrishnan2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You might want to see Stefan's reply on this thread

http://scn.sap.com/thread/1811138