cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CE functions vs. SQL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear HANA Experts,

is there a possibility to sort columns like it is known in SQL with ORDER BY clause? Additionally is there something equivalent to the
to_time("DATETIMESTAMP") function in CE?

SAP recomends to use CE functions instead of SQL for performance reasons, and not to mix it up with SQL statements.  I didn't find a way to live without SQL - would it be a good idea to use as far as possible CE and for not supported functionality to switch to SQL (at least there is no other choice yet). Or am I
wrong and SQL can be substituded 1:1 by CE?

Thank you & regards

Alex

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

thank you, by the way if there is  a possibility to debug Calculation Vies Scripts? With SPS 05 it should be possible to debug procedures...

Best regards

Alex

Former Member
0 Kudos

With SPS 05, you can debug procedure in XSEngine but not in SQL Console.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravi,

thank you, by the way if there is  a possibility to debug Calculation Vies Scripts? With SPS 05 it should be possible to debug procedures...

Best regards

Alex

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

You are right, it is advisable not to mix CE functions and SQL statements as these are executed by different engines and large volume of data is likely to be exchanged between the engines which has negative impact on the performance.

CE functions allow use of standard data conversion functions using CE_CALC. I don't think there is a function to convert to time, although there are functions to convert to date. You can refer to CE_CALC in help (Press F1 and search for CE_CALC).

Since CE functions are not as flexible as SQL, there are obvious limitations. And as you mentioned, it is advisable not to mix, it is not forbidden. Hence if there is no other alternative left, then you may have to mix CE and SQL functions. It will have impact on the performance, but if you manage to reduce the data exchanged between the engines, then it should be fine.

Regards,

Ravi