Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reg: PCO clarification

former_member329434
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

We are installing MII 12.2 version and the proposed landscape consists of the following systems:

PLC->OPC SERVER->MII->SAP...     ( With out Historian)

If my understanding is  correct, I have to install PCO for MII 12.2 version for communcating with any OPC server.( please correct,if there is any other connector)

clarifications  required:

1) I would like to know where PCO has to be installed in the landscape.?  is it on MII server located at Plant or at OPC server ? ( any other recommendations)

2) Does PCO work as a client for communicating with OPC server?

3) Is it mandatory to have microsoft . net framework for PCO?

4) I have read somewhere PCO works as a server ? do I need to install it on a separate system or is it a simple .exe file where we maintain all parameters?

with above landscape , I can  pull only current trends from the OPC server, not a historial data. so, is it mandatory to bring Historian server in the landscape.

PLC->OPC SERVER->OPC HISTORIAN->MII->SAP    ( With Historian)

Please suggest. I have read documentation and bit confused.

Thanks & Regards,

Suman

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Suman,

Below is information that i have got :

1) I would like to know where PCO has to be installed in the landscape.?  is it on MII server located at Plant or at OPC server ? ( any other recommendations)

It can be installled on MII server machine at plant or at the OPC server ( depends on scenario)

PCO is .Net based application which has to be installed on window based machine.

2) Does PCO work as a client for communicating with OPC server?

yes

3) Is it mandatory to have microsoft . net framework for PCO?

yes

4) I have read somewhere PCO works as a server ? do I need to install it on a separate system or is it a simple .exe file where we maintain all parameters?

I am not clear about this question. can you elaborate more.

even i am bit confused about historian server. so if somebody else can explain would be good for me too.

former_member196557
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Ajinkya, Suman,

PCo consists of a  managment console for configuration and management, and a set of Windows Services that execute the connections to the source data, provide notifications to destinations, and query interface to MII.  It is intended to be installed on Microsoft Windows Server (current version of 2008R2 either 32- or 64-bit OS).  The current version of PCo requires Microsoft.Net 3.5 sp1.

While it is possible to install both the OPC Server and PCo on the MII server (if MII is installed on Windows Server), you should plan on installing the OPC Server and PCo on a server different from the MII Server, and this server should be located at the plant level.

OPC Servers (Kepware,KepServerEX, MatrikonOPC, etc.) only provide current data from the devices they are connected to.  For Historical data you will need to have access to a Historian that provides the historical data.  PCo has native connectors for OSISoft PI, CiTect, AspenTech IP21, and GE Proficy.  It also has an OLEDB connector that can be used to connect to any other historian that offers an OLEDB interface to the data.  Also,some Historians offer an OPC-DA server for current data and OPC-HDA for historical data.  PCo can connect to both OPC-DA and OPC-HDA.

Regards, Steve