cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Lock - What happens to the Saved Changes?

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We have one environment of PI (SAP EHP 1 for SAP NetWeaver 7.1) and we face a very common issue "Object Message Mapping: YYYYYY | urn:xyz:abc currently being edited by user <my own user>" for Timeout, Connection loss etc.. We can unlock the object from Administration --> Lock Overview --> Selecting the locked object and Unlock it.

Now, as per my knowledge the above action will take us to the last activated version of the message mapping, the latest saved (after the last activation) one will be lost. Now correct me if I am wrong (Unlock will take us to latest Save version) and if correct do we have any way to retrieve that Saved part other than unlocking from "Administration"?

Regards,

NS.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

When you find the object locked, do you just close the window? If yes, you cannot retrieve it. Why not just unlock it without closing the mapping window and continue working?

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Prateek,

First of all thanks for the reply. Actually when Connection loss happens the below Pop-Up comes:

If we also provide password, it does not work. It shows something below:

After that we have to close the ESR because it does not reconnect ever and reopen it from Index page. So everything saved gets lost and after unlock from Administration, only we can fetch the last Activated version. So after each short while, we need to Activate the object.

anand_shankar10
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Nabendu,

Its case to case basis. What Prateek replied... do happens sometime and what you are mentioning is also true... so I said its case to case basis.

It also differs on the working environment.

Personal Expereince... When I used to connect to Aventail I used to face what you mentioned but while working at client place in their network I was able to unlock the object from a different page and then continue without loosing the changes done.

Thanks

Anand

prateek
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

>> After that we have to close the ESR because it does not reconnect ever

Try to fix this. You don't have to close ESR in this case. Just enter the password and reconnection should work. I however don't recall if the open items remains open.

Now, before getting too much into this solution, I think you should think more about why this Connection gets interrupted. Usually it should be stable enough that unless there is a reason to restart PI server, this shouldn't happen. I guess if you raise this within your organization, everyone understands that sudden network hiccup can cause loss or work.

Regards,

Prateek Raj Srivastava

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone, I think got the information to proceed.

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nabendu,

Sorry, but I am little confused with your initial thread explanation. Assuming you have an active mapping version and then you started working on your mapping, then you should have below possibilities.

• Does your PI connect breaks before you can save your mapping very first time? Y/N

if answer is yes, then there is no way you can get mapping changes since you are not able to reconnect to PI server via the same ESR session

if answer is no, i.e., at least one time you saved mapping successfully without PI connect break and then you have a connection break for next saving (before you could save), then you can have the last saved mapping version with your next ESR logging session.

For both yes and no cases, you have to remove mapping lock via Administration --> Lock Overview (as you mentioned) inorder to work with mapping again.

As suggested by Prateek, you should think why connection is breaking. e.g., weak internet/intranet connection, VPN tunnel issue, firewall etc..

Regards,

Praveen Gujjeti

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Praveen,

Thanks for the reply. But what I asked actually a little bit different.

First of all I have already saved the changes in Message Mapping. After the connection loss, if we also able to connect to ESR (from a new session) and try to open the object (saved already) its showing Object is locked as mentioned above. Now when we unlock the object from Administration, we can not retrieve the saved version. But obviously can fetch the latest activated version from History. Its also not available in change list after re login.

"if answer is no, i.e., at least one time you saved mapping successfully without PI connect break and then you have a connection break for next saving (before you could save), then you can have the last saved mapping version with your next ESR logging session."------ where I can see saved version?

Please suggest according to my situation.

former_member181985
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Nabendu,

where I can see saved version?

Ideally, when you login to PI ESR/IR next time with a new session (as you said after removing mapping lock) then you should see your saved mapping. If this is not case then it is mostly a bug in your PI version.

You can try the same thing in any other PI system and observe the behavior.

Regards,

Praveen Gujjeti

nabendu_sen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Any thought?