cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Integration: SAP PS and PPM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello PPM-Experts,

we're currently tryin to integrate SAP PS with a PPM System but we can't get it working.

Our target/target of our customer is to import existing projects from a SAP ERP System (PS) into the PPM System. Both systems should be synchronized concerning the projects.

The reason is that the PPM System will only be used to manage the resources. The resources are imported via iDoc from HR which is already working.

Can somebody tell me the main steps to integrate the SAP PS with the PPM System?

We have already searched many hours in the internet (SAP Help, Service etc...) without any progress.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Patrik

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Patrik,

From your PPM system (lastest version), go "SPRO>PPM>portfolio management > Base System Interfaces > PM specific settings > SAP PLM - PS Integration > SAP PLM/PS integration overview" and you will find a summary of the information you are looking for.  It explains the high-level process to set it up initially, as well as how to sync the project structure data on an on-going basis.

Regards,

Colin

former_member209919
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Patrick,

Not sure if I understand your problem, how are you integrating PS with PPM?

Projects are created in PPM and transferred to PS or created manually in both systems and linked them. If you have created your project in PS .... How do you create the project in PPM?

What exactly doesn't work?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sara,

our customer creates project in SAP PS. Our target is that these projects are also available in the PPM System to make the resource planning.

The problem is that we don't know how to synchronize the projects.

Regards

Patrik

former_member209919
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

But you need create the project in PPM , I mean if you create the project in PPM you can transfer to PS  and create it  automatically. If I am not wrong if you create it in PS, you have to go to PPM creates it again and then link both projects ( in PPM you will see a accounting tab to link them)

Regards,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sara,

are you sure that this is the only way?

Our customer has hundreds of current projects. It's impossible to create all of them a second time in PPM manually.

I can't imagine that there is no way to synchronize the projects bidirectional.

Regards
Patrik

former_member209919
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

Not 100% sure, I mean,  the normal logic is:

-  create in PPM and replicate to PS.

- Or create in both systems and assign them manually in PPM

- Or create in both system and assign them manually from PS ( I think this is under consulting solution, not 100% standard)

To create in a massive way in PPM there are options... but to synchronize from PS, really I don't know the way.

You say that your settings doesn't work, where are you configuring that the system has to create something in PPM when a project is created in PS?

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Patrik,

There are a small number of prerequisites to managing project resources in PPM.  You must at least have business partners with specified availability, project roles and c-project tasks with dates and durations and work. You then link the BP to the role, which in turn is linked to the task. In this way you are able to establish the task demand (work) on the role, and the BP availability to meet that demand.

Therefore, in order to meet your clients requirement to "manage the resources" (I assume here you want to manage the workload per individual) you must at least meet each of these requirements for each of the hundreds of current projects. This means you will - to a degree - need to duplicate each PS project in PPM.  Unless the exact requirements are quite different, its difficult to see how you would be able to get around this.

From an architectural perspective, your client must decide if they are happy to align just the start/finish dates of the projects in PS and in PPM, or if more detailed date alignment is required within each project. Also, how will actual costs flow into PPM? Will it be directly to the Item or via the c-project tasks? These are key decisions which will heavily influence the final design and configuration of the end product.

Regards,

Colin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Patrick,

In my last project we did integrate PS and PPM. For initial project, we did create a project in PS and PPM with separate numbers and we use LSMW to create projects. We did very heavy load as well.

It took long time for us but we did it safely.

So, one of the safest way is to create project manually and integrate with PS and PPM.

Remaining areas like Cost and etc., it will flow based on rest of configurations.

Enjoy,

Urvish