cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SD Number range

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I need your suggestion on billing document number range. We have 85 plants in company & 7 Invoice type. Each plant & invoice type has separate number range. This number range changes in every new fiscal. Therefore we need to new 85x7 = 595 number range every year in VN01 and manage this plant & invoice type wise range via user exit RV60AFZZ using Ztable for number range object, year, plant, invoice type & range.

As you know that the number range object is 2 char filed so now we do not have enough combination to create new object for new number range after three years of implementation.

Kindly suggest how can create number range with fiscal year because there is no option for fiscal year VN01.

Regards

Jitendra Singh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

I agree with other opinions, but you need to persuade your client for doing it in other way. So, ask them what is the aim for this different ranges. If they need it for reporting purposes (usually, I work for end user companies, and some managers are capable to know from what plant, company, or other classification criteria comes the invoice, a kind of mnemonic code), let them know how you can improve the reporting tools, or furthermore, with customer fields (for instance, to transfer new field to FI, see Note 301077 - User exits for the interface to accounting, or in copy rules with customer VOFM subroutines). I can understand it for different companies (by tax authorities requirements), but not for plants.

By the way, I suggest you to show  SAP Note 595327 - Determining a different number range interval to your client when it talks about 'caution', when it speaks about note 825176 in relation with table NRIV. When I've been working as a Consultant, SAP Notes finished this type of issues with customers.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

Message was edited by: Eduardo Hinojosa

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

I wiould like to add in Ravi's post.Check possibility of making number range like first two or four digits representing Fiscal year. Concatenate Fiscal+Invoice number at the time of saving with user exit you are already using. Like for 2013 and plant 01 invoices will be like 1301xxxxxx or may be 201301xxxx depends on volume of transactions. This is just an Idea. Your client's requirement will also be fulfilled to some extent and you don't have to change number range manually at start of every Fiscal year.

Thanks

former_member184555
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Just a thought, but never tried it....

How about using a prefix to the invoice numbers to represent the plant and billing type? This willl avoid the need of using 595 number ranges. Number the 85 plants with two digits as 01 to 85 and name the billing types as A (ZF2), B (ZFV)...etc., Maintain these details in a custom table and a specific number range for the combinations that can use the same number range. With coding in the Userexit_Number_Range....when the invoice is created the number will be defaulted as 01A000000001. The first two digits will represent Plant, followed by the billing type and then the number from the assigned number range.

Regards,

Ravi Sankar   

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Totally agreed with Mr. Lakshami's post. We should give standard solutions rather to go for customization. If there is no standard way to meet client's requirement then customization solution must be taken considering its impacts on system in long run.

In above scenario I think they should use accounting document number not SD invoice number.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

Thankyou all for your suggestions & recommedations. I have to do the same. This is final requirement of my client.

MoazzaM,

If I use accounting document number in SD billing, will it work in number range user exit(RV60AFZZ)?

As you know that, there is object RV_BELEG for SD number range and RF_BELEG for FI number range. We are using user exit to maintain number range for pant+invoice type combination.

FI Object RF_BELEG will work in in this user exit?

Kindly suggest.

Regards

Jitendra

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear

What I said was you should use accounting document number fiscal year wise. If you see the difference in VF03 and FB03 there is Fiscal year field in FB03 but in VF03.

You can use normal SD billing document number range and you know behind every SD invoice there is accounting document number. Make some Z transaction that in selection you give accounting document number and fiscal year and on execution it will show you SD billing document number.

Using USEREXIT for this is not recommended and I won't ask you to do this in RV60AFZZ.

Thanks

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Jitendra,

There are a lot of options, but you need to know what is your customer's need. I believe you need to add information to some lists, for instance VF05. You can enhance this tcode (for instace, see  SAP Note 398575 - List of billing docs: Accounting document number is missing and related notes). And if you need a customer number range ID you can use it populating some fields in FI tables as XREF1, XREF2, XREF3,... that you can populate with enhancements in the interface from SD billing to FI accounting (see Note 301077 - User exits for the interface to accounting).

If you need customer report, you can use the function module AC_DOCUMENT_RECORD to be aware about the FI documents for this SD billing document, with this coding

DATA: docs_fi LIKE acc_doc OCCURS 10 WITH HEADER LINE.

CALL FUNCTION 'AC_DOCUMENT_RECORD'

EXPORTING

i_awtyp      = 'VBRK'

i_awref      = vbrk-vbeln

i_aworg      = ''

i_awsys      = vbrk-logsys

i_bukrs      = vbrk-bukrs

i_awtyp_incl = 'BKPF'

i_valutyp    = '0'

x_dialog     = ' '

TABLES

t_documents  = docs_fi

EXCEPTIONS

no_reference = 1

no_document  = 2

OTHERS       = 3.

For extract this information in an internal table (docs_fi).

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

Message was edited by: Eduardo Hinojosa

jignesh_mehta3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Jitendra,

Agreed that this is final requirement from the Client.

But just to share my personal experience:

I was supporting a client who was using Plant-wise Sales Order, Delivery & Invoice number ranges for different Invoice types (different business lines). Also these number ranges were changed every year.

At the time of Implementation there were just 5 plants & 3 Sales Order Types, 3 Delivery Type & 3 Invoice Types. Now after three, they had 21 plants & 5 Sales Order Types, 5 Delivery Type & 5 Invoice Types, due to which we literally exhausted the Number range key combination & subsequrntly the client had to archieve previous doucments, fixed a continous number for Sales Doucments.

I will still insist to concinve the client to not to go for Yearly number rage for Sales Documents. There is no such logical / legal requirement for yearly Sales number ranges.

Thanks,

Jignesh Mehta

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This number range changes in every new fiscal

Surprised to see this and who have implemented SAP to your client originally .  As already highlighted by MoazzaM Ali, this is definitely not a best practice and you can very well ask your client that what they have planned once all the existing number ranges are exhausted ??   As a Value Add, you can revamp this system and implement a continuous billing number ranges.

G. Lakshmipathi

abhinav_sharma05
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

No offence to anyone, but i believe, its business that is required to run an ERP...not an ERP to run a business.

There are so many companies which are using year based number ranges. One of the most prominent conglomerate in India & a key client of SAP AG & SAP AG itself developed the same functionality for them.

SAP is number one today because they have adapted themselves as per the market/customers demand, if they have been rigid, they would have become an history.

Thanks,

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

that is required to run an ERP...not an ERP to run a business.

Surprised to see such a comment from a consultant rather from Business.  It is quite obvious that the more you go with SAP's standard package, less the problems / issues, the Business will face at a later date.  Having said this, I am not sure on the number of billing documents generated per year and you have to be proactive and think what will happen if all the number ranges are exhausted

G. Lakshmipathi

Former Member
0 Kudos

You have definitely hit a snag with your Client. 

You don't have much choice but to possibly re-use the 2 digit ID again, with a new  number range.  Though not sure of the impact it will have in the system.  You'll need to do heaps of testing.

Other than this produce a report for management based on the current SAP constraints.

Regards

Waza

moazzam_ali
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Jitendra

This is not a good Idea to have SD number range with Fiscal years. If you really need fiscal year wise number range then why don't you use FI accounting document number. If you really need to maintain SD number range with fiscal year then simply maintain 01 to 85 with Fiscal year and on start of every new year reset the number range again but this is really a stupid and non recommended Idea

If you see for MB03 and FB03 there are Fiscal year, Company code and document numbers in selection screen but in VF03 there is not any Fiscal year concept. I dont know why your client has adopted this wrong practice.

Alternatively you can try with special characters.

Thanks