Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a LoginModule

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Let me start by saying my knowledge of NWDI is limited, but I have a scenario that I will appreciate if you can help me with.

I have a custom build in-house SSO solution in place, we are testing Biller Direct and one of the issues is that we want to intergrate BD to use the in-house SSO solution. For that we need to develop a new LoginModule.

I understand that the right tool to use in NWDI/NWDS (please correct me if I'm wrong). As this is a test scenario I will like to know if we can use our current sandbox J2EE engine 7.02 and add the DI usage type to it, or do we need a clean install?...  I can see that the packages are part of the NWCE  now, I haven't been able to find the SCA's on their own to implement them via JSPM/SDM. Is this the right approach?

Regards, Juan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

You need NWDI when you have to customize a WDJ app. In all other cases, the usage of NWDI is defined by a corporate guideline (here we have the loophole), and specially when it comes to "pure" Java development, NWDI is not needed and normally only adds headaches.

You should use NWDS as it comes with the necessary wizards and templates, but NWDI for developing a logon module in sandbox is way too much. It may proof useful when it comes to later usages in teams and WDJ development, but even when you'll have later to transport the logon module: this is something done manually.

Developing a new Logon Module is Java development. Look at the example here: http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/3f/1be040e136742ae10000000a155106/frameset.htm

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

You need NWDI when you have to customize a WDJ app

I am not sure I completely agree on this point as it is (the need for NWDI is rather determined by your scenario, by your requirements), but I admit that if you only want to develop a small scenario in a sandbox system, the number of developers is too low (like 1 person is doing some tests) then perhaps it makes sense to avoid installing NWDI. NWDI is useful if you really would like to work in team and so you intend to realize concurrency handling, version handling with our software (DTR) and you would like to track down the complete transport lifecycle of your software (CMS).

This guide also describes the certain level of developments starting with the scenario where you don't use CMS or CBS, only DTR:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw70/helpdata/en/44/0d18d725301a78e10000000a1553f6/frameset.htm

But as also mentioned by Tobias, you can avoid central build, central deployment, version contol and all the transport related tasks , etc. by simply creating a localdevelopment in your NWDS, and specifying a j2ee engine in NWDS where you can deploy directly without the NWDI mumbo-jumbo 😉

Best Regards,

Ervin

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"I am not sure I completely agree on this point"

You can agree on this 🙂 Customizing WDJ without NWDI is not doable.

For the logon module: in the end it will be a SDA file, but you do not have to create a DC project. Considering that NWDI promises easy check-in/out, central compile and deploy but in reality creates problems, it really only makes to use NWDI when you are all in for SAP Java development.

Until then: use NWDS without NWDI for developing a logon module.

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

we might have a misunderstanding here.

"You need NWDI when you have to customize a WDJ app"

This sentence sounded for me like you need NWDI only if you want to customize WDJ and in any other cases it makes no sense at all to use it, however as mentioned this rather depends on the given approach and requirements.

But then let's agree on that, that this was just not the luckiest specification when to use NWDI, and I was one of the victims misunderstood it, so I think we are equal. 😉

Best Regards,

Ervin

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Tobias/Ervin

Thanks for the info!..  I wanted to avoid using NWDI if possible as we are using standard SAP software and theres no need in the immediate future to develop any Java code. What I undestood is that i can use standalone NWDS to create a new login module to adapt it to our bespoke SSO.

Regards, Juan

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

ErvinSzolke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

HI,

normally NWDI should be able to serve any kind of developments, independently of its release. Meaning that if your current 702 system is not too overloaded (sorry, I have few knowledge on BD) then it should do the trick if you add DI usage type to your existing 702 system.

The SCAs to be used are:

DI_CMS, DI_CBS and DI_DTR

Then of course you have to configure NWDI once these SCs are deployed.

For "installation / upgrade / usage types" I recommend to post a question in the corresponding forum, as there might be issues from the usage types point of view we are not aware of here in this NWDI forum.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards

Ervin

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Anyone?