cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New installation using non-unicode

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

I was told by SAP two years ago "All new installations of Netweaver must be Unicode", yet now when I am installing SRM 7.0 EhP1 using Software Provisioning Manager 1.0 SP01 it would appear that I can still install a non-unicode system.

While defining the "General Parameters" a panel appears with the option:

Unicode System (recommended) with a check mark predefined in the selection box.

I assume I can remove the check mark and install a new SRM 7.0 system based on non-unicode. Is this true? Has SAP modified their stance on "All new systems must be unicode based"?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

For SRM 7.0 EhP1 is based on Netweaver 7.0  so technically you can install this as Non-unicode system.

As of products on  SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3, you cannot install an SAP NetWeaver ABAP system or the ABAP part of an SAP NetWeaver dual-stack system as non-Unicode any longer. However, non-Unicode is still supported when you perform the system copy of an SAP system upgraded to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3.

Hope it clarifies your point.

Regards,

Mudasir Syed.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone for thier input on this matter.

I posted this question because I am currently running SRM 4.0 on NW 640 non-unicode. I am in the process of migrating to SRM 7.0. I was mis-informed that all new installations had to be unicode.  I was a little surprised that the installer gave me the option to install a new system as non-unicode.

It's good to know that I could install a new system using non-unicode. By the way I intended to perform the SRM 7.0 installation using unicode.

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

well, even if this might be possible in some cases, the SAP policy is pretty clear:

https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/011000358700002963562006E

Excerpt (begin):

New releases of SAP NetWeaver and SAP applications based on SAP NetWeaver, which are released in

2007 or later, will no longer support new installations of Non-Unicode systems. Non-Unicode upgrades and

system copies of Single Codepage systems will still be possible. Existing non-Unicode systems can be

efficiently converted to Unicode using reliable tools from SAP. An additional option is to combine the

Unicode conversion with a release upgrade, thus keeping system downtime at a minimum.

Excerpt (End)

Hence I would not rely on proper support when doing a new installation with a Non-Unicode system.

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim as a quick question...

Just a further quick question, i've personally upgraded a SRM 4.0 to a SRM 7.0 system, can i just ask why you aren't undertaking a upgrade in place ?

As you are upgrading SRM 4.0 on NW 640 non-unicode. A supported Target of SRM 7.0 / EHP1 without undertaking a unicode conversion is still supported.

I'm still confused why you would want a clean SRM 7.0 installtion ?

Regards

James

Former Member
0 Kudos

Going forward there is even an end for non-Unicode support in new releases: "SAP NetWeaver 7.40 is the last release supporting non-Unicode" (check at https://service.sap.com/~sapidb/012002523100009958832014E/ or see SAP Note 2033243).

Best regards,

Christian

nils_buerckel
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I think the check box is greyed out - hence you cannot remove the tick ...

Best regards,

Nils Buerckel

former_member191911
Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't think you can un-select that checkbox, can you?

Kr. Mark

former_member84834
Active Participant
0 Kudos

The screen shot was from a "Typical" install - hence the reason for the checkbox being greyed-out. If I had selected a custom installation I would have the ability to remove the check mark and install a non-unicode version.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tim,

Although the installer may let you install a non unicode system, i would suggest its recommended practice to make all future system unicode.

The real question is why would you want a non-unicode system unless its historic ?

The advice probably hasn't changed from SAP they just haven't taken the option out of the installer......

James

former_member215961
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi James,

The correct answer is what Mudasir has said. Technically you can install this as non-unicode when you perform the system copy of an SAP system upgraded to SAP NetWeaver 7.0 SR3.

Otherside if is a new installation you should install SAP NW as Unicode system.

Cheers