cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Migration advise

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello guys,

we are planning to perform a migration from Hp-ux(Oracle) to AIX(db2)

I am not sure what is the order here.

1. Install the systems on the AIX machine + db2 database

2. import the dumps

or

I can do in one go the whole syste installation + db2 + import of the dump.

Also how can i determine the size of the target database? I will not perform the export.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Good Day

I am not sure what is not clear in this question. But anyway here is my reply.

Question was if i can go to SAPinst and do the sap system installation+database+import in the same time (with one run)

Absolutely YES. You can build the target system with the dump import in one run.

Additionally you need to follow the standard practice for OS/DB Migration process.

Cheers

RB

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you guys for help!!!

Former Member
0 Kudos

glad that was useful.

regards,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Please perform the following.

Step 1 - Take a export of the Source system.

Step 2 - Install DB2 in your Target system.

Step 3 - import the data in your Target system.

You have to do only in the above way.

If you are comfortable with migrations, you can then perform parallel export and import method.

You can check your DB size by going to DB02 -> Database - Overview . There you can see the database size of your system.

Usually the target database varies based on the source system. If the DB is finely tuned then the target database will be of 10 % to 20% less than the source system. Suppose your Source system is around  100GB and your target database imported will be of 80 to 90 GB. It is just a general concept... As i said it varies.

Your export will be of 15 to 20% of your source database.

I hope the information provided helps you.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

we have totally new AIX systems without any SAP instance on them.

So i will have to install first the ECC6 system + db6 database and then import the dump that is shared on some mount filesystem. We are performing just the IMPORT.

Question was if i can go to SAPinst and do the sap system installation+database+import in the same time (with one run)...

Former Member
0 Kudos

I dont clearly understand your question.

But you shouldn't install any ECC6 system.  Let me explain the steps in details.

Source system

1. Use sapinst  to take a export of your system. In sapinst ,based on your product  -> you can see software lifecycle options or system copy options  -> Source system export -> database export and proceed as per the sapinst.

In Target system

2.  Install DB6 Database.

3.Use SAPINST to import the data in your system.  In sapinst based on your product -> you can see software lifecycle options or system copy options -> Target system import -> database and Central instance import. and proceed as per the sapinst.

I have attached a sample export sapinst screen and import sapinst screen that gives you bit clear picture.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Question was if i can go to SAPinst and do the sap system installation+database+import in the same time (with one run)...

The answer is Yes you can.

Now, please check Graham post above. This is a Heterogeneous system copy and OS/DB Migrations should be perfomed by a Certified Consultant and you need to go through the migration checks.

Regards, Juan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vlad,

There are a few processes you can use, but as this is a hetrogeneous migration, then you you will require a certified OS/DB person to oversee the migration - especially for production.  If you don't, then SAP will not help with migration issues. You will also need to book migration checks from SAP for each production system you will be migrating.  So, assuming you have ERP, CRM, and BI, then you will need to purchase 3 migration services.

SAPInst allows you to perform the export, but closely read the migration guides for your systems to see the details process - as I say, depending upon the speed required for the production migration, then there are a few options to speed things up.

If you've not done this before, I'd strongly recommend advice from an experienced person.

Regards,

Graham