cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ECC 6.0 EHP4 migration from Widows 2003 to Windows 2008

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Gurus,

Client is planning for OS upgrade from Windows 2003 to Windows 2008 and virtualization of its servers.

In accordance with same, we are planning to perform migration on our clients landscape as per below details :

Source -

SAP : ECC 6.0 EHP4 SP5

DB : SQL 2005

Target -

SAP : ECC 6.0 EHP4 SP5

DB: SQL 2008 R2

I have read the system copy guide and as per my understanding this shall be Homogeneous System copy. I am planning to use Export/Import strategy for this activity.

My question is since the difference between source and target DB is 2005 and 2008, can we generate EXPORT on source ( SQL 2005 ) then install SQL 2008 ( target) and use SAPINST to import exported data ?

Basically idea here is to avoide upgrade of DB from 2005 to 2008 if possible.

Any suggestions on this will be very helpful. Any alternative approach which you think will be better is also welcomed to share.

Also, I am planning to enable Migration check service with SAP for any critical issues.

Attached is the plan for better understanding.

Cheers !

SG

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Yes this is a homogeneous migration, so you don't need a migration consultant.  And you can do an export / import  - this method works for all databases - with sapinst.  Just make sure of the golden rules of migrations:

1. Write a Run Book of the plans
  2. Practice and update the Run Book
  3. Practice and practice and practice some more until you can do the import without failing and you know all the issues and exactly how and where to fix.

all the best,

Graham

Former Member
0 Kudos

I'm not a SQL Server expert, but if I recall correctly, you may just be able to detach the db on SQL 2005, move the files to the target system with SQL 2008 installed and re-attache the db, i.e. no export/ import required.  Do a bit of reading around this as it will save you a lot of time if this works.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Graham, Juan,

Thanks for your views on this.

I am not very comfortable with attach -detach so i will use export/import method.

We have a sandbox system with us so I will make sure we test the import multiple times before migrating PRD.

Also, please confirm - Was I right that export created on SQL 2005 can be imported in newly installed SQL 2008 using sapinst as a standard practice of homogeneous migration?

There will be no impact as we are not considering DB upgrade from 2005 to 2008 ?

In this case, will SAP migration check service is mandatory to be enabled ?

Cheers,

SG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You are correct.

You can take a export from your sql server 2005 and import it in your sql server 2008.

I also like to keep you informed that the export you have taken is OS and DB independent meaning it can be imported in any OS and any DB.

So just install Sql server 2008 and import the data in your latest SQL server 2008.

Since it is a homogenous migration, SAP migration check service wont be applicable. However, you can request for your system check once in a year and you can request SAP regarding this.

You can request SAP to do a verification test before and after migration. You can raise a message to SAP and confirm it.

I hope this helps.

Please check and provide your feedback.

Thanks and Regards,
Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can also use the Note 1054852 - Recommendations for migrations to MS SQL Server   for recommendations for your migration.

This note will help you to reduce the downtime.

I hope it helps.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Vimal, for validating and suggesting the replies to my query.

I have one more doubt here, we have ADS configured on our EP servers and now we are planning to decommision EP along with this migration activity.

SO I suppose we will have to migrate ADS to solman Java, can this be taken paralelly with SAP migration activity or what shall be the approach used in this case ?

Thanks,

SG

Former Member
0 Kudos

In your case, If I was in your situation, I would migrate the ECC 6.0 system and then later migrate the ADS one.

Please don't do both at the same time unless you are 100% confident about it.

I don't have much knowledge in ADS. But we recently migrated around 50 systems of different flavours . It was decided during the project plan to migrate the SAP systems first  and then switch the ADS  from one system to another system .

We don't want to create multiple conflicts because of this.

I hope it helps.

Please check and provide your feedback.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JPReyes
Active Contributor
0 Kudos