cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can PPDS optimizer consider Product priority?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi APO gurus

Is there a way that PPDS optimizer can consider Product priority during schdeuling. We have a scenario where we convert SNP orders to PPDS orders and run optimization on those orders for scheduling. There are certain product which needs to be produced first and they need to be given high priority. If we maintain product priority in location -product master , then while converting SNP orders to PPDS, that priority is not propagated to PPDS orders. How can we meet this requirement?

Regards

Chuck 11

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

you configure priority in PP/DS to use product priority (/SAPAPO/MVM)? I believe both ' ' and '2' will serve your purpose, try '2' if you don't mantain different priorities for sales orders and forecast, but ' ' would probably work too. Then, define different costs to different priority ranges in your optimizer cost profile. It's been some time since I used this, but I think it worked fine just like that.

thanks,

J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James

I agree with the process of maintaining cost as per priority and optimising based on that , but my problem is how will the PPDS order acquire Priority if you convert SNP orders to PPDS? Refer to the below link from SAP which says that orders you create in PPDS by converting SNP orders does not acquire priority:

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_scm700_ehp01/helpdata/EN/99/b1323dff83d228e10000000a114084/frameset.htm

Also, in your earlier reply you have used " & 2. Do you wanted to type 1?

Chuck11

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

the PP/DS optimizer reads things its own way before optimizing, therefore you have to test it independently of what you see in say /SAPAPO/RRP3 (one example would be pegging, wich is reinterpreted by the internal code). Did you try it in your sandbox?

2 is "allways passed from product", as in your link, " " is "for mto, ese from product".

regards,

J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi James

I tested the priority of orders with optimizer and I don't see the optimizer respecting the priority.

There are orders scheduled on the planning board in the future in the below sequence :

A ( low priority) , B ( high priority)

After optimization also the sequence remaines as : A , B

I expected the sequence to reverse , i.e. B, A;  but that did not happen.

The point to be clarified is that :

1) If both A & B were meeting their due dates while being in sequence A, B ; then Should the optimizer reverse their sequence to B, A ?? or it should leave them undisturbed since they have already met their due dates.

2) Should the optimizer schedule B as the first order in the schedule if B has priority = 1 ? Or it should leave it wherever it is making sure the due date is respected.

The question is - What is normal optimizer behaviour. Should it pull the high priority orders at the start of the schedule ? or it should make sure that the high priority orders meet their due dates , wherever they are ??

Regards

Chuck11

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. PP/DS optimizer does not consider order priority unless it is specified in the optimization profile ( 'Order processing' tab - Prioritization of orders). If priority value is specified, then optimizer groups the orders based on priority. Please check the SAP documentation for details.

a. Without priority set in the profile, all the orders will be in the same group and cost factors will influence the order processing.

b. If you set priority in the profile, all the priorities less than or equal to this value will have been given importance.

(I hope this answer your queries)

2. Your model's PP/DS setting "Determine Priority" influence order priority value setting automatically. However, it can be changed by executing heuristics SAP_PP_12 which re-prioritize the orders based on pegging relationships i.e. highest priority or requirement order determines the priority of receipt (especially for MKS products).

3. Manually created orders always get the product master's priority. When you convert SNP orders to PP/DS, the order priority would be set as 0 by default.

If order priority based sorting is required, you can include this field in your scheduling sequence (DS heuristics such as SAP001).

Thanks,

Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh

I understand and agree with your explanation, but i am aware of that and did not see the optimizer respecting priority. My question still remains as earlier:

1)  The question is - What is normal optimizer behaviour. Should it pull the high priority orders at the start of the schedule ? or it should make sure that the high priority orders meet their due dates , wherever they are ??

2)   You also mentioned about heuristic SAP_PP_12. I am actually not sure what this heuristic does?

Can you explain a scenario to explain what it does ?

Regards

Chuck11

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chuck11,

Let me address your queries in brief.

Q1.a. No priority is set in the PP/DS optimizer profile.

There is no categorization of orders based on the priority takes place. The defined costs (make span, delay, etc) alone influence the optimizer's functionality and order sequencing.

Q1.b. Priority is set in the PP/DS optimizer profile (say priority 3)

Orders with priority 0 to 3 will be categorized into group1 and all other orders (with priority > 3 ) into group2. The optimizer will treat group 1 orders  with importance compared to lower priority orders. The group 1 orders irrespective of their due dates (wherever they are) will be processed and sequenced first.(Pl note that the cost factors will influence again the sequencing order within group1)

Q.2. Heuristic SAP_PP_12

Assume you have created a planned order in the product view that assumes the location product master's priority (say 5). There is also a sales order with priority 2 that can be pegged with this planned order. If you execute heuristic SAP_PP_12, then planned order's priority will be reset with that of sales order i.e. the planned order priority is changed to 2.

Thanks,
Rajesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajesh

Thanks for the wonderful explanation on Heuristic SAP_PP_012. I understand now. I guess, Sales order can have priority 2 by assigning it to customer master in ECC. How can the distribution demands ( PReqRel and Dep:ConRl) acquire priority? Any idea?

On Q1.a & Q1.b --> I did maintain Priority = 5 in the Optimization profile and there were two orders for Product A ( priority=2) and Product B ( priority =1) scheduled on the planning board in the sequence A B. Their priorities were visible in the product view. After optimization also, their sequence remained A B. It did not changed to B A.

As per your explanation it should reverse the sequence !

This is the reason I keep asking :

What is normal optimizer behaviour. Should it pull the high priority orders at the start of the schedule ? or it should make sure that the high priority orders meet their due dates , wherever they are ??

Regards

Chuck11

rajkj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chuck11,

With respect to order sequencing, both orders A and B fall in the same group and hence, no special treatment for order B based on priority alone. You need to verify the cost factors. The optimizer logs and plan evaluation will be resourceful to interpret the results and find out the reason for order sequence A B (instead of B A).

Assume order A needs to be delivered by end of this week and order B can be delivered next week. Based on the defined delay costs, the order sequence A B makes sense.

Regarding stock transfer order priority, the DRP run  pass the direct demand priority at distribution center to the distribution demand at the plant. This, in turn, will be passed to production order at plant during MRP run.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Answers (0)