Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

master data: SAP ECC->MDM->BW

a_ahmad
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

ECC->BW: extracting master data from ECC to BW

for example for master data 'Company code', extractor 0COMP_CODE_ATTR and _TEXT are activated on ECC side, then replicated on BW side and mapped to 0comp_code infoObject.

ECC->MDM->BW: extracting master data from ECC to MDM and then send to BW

under this scenario, I know the extractors (ECC) and I know the InfoObject(BW) but if we have MDM then how the whole thing works?

Please clarify with any example

Thanks

Ahmed

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmad,

Please refer to answer given by Marcus here -

http://scn.sap.com/message/7025585

Also look at the blogs illustrating the steps (links to which are in his answer),although those are based on previous version nevertheless they can be very helpful.

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmad,

As rightly pointed out, you would require Extractors on ECC side and Info objects in BW to perform data upload into appropriate systems.

This will make process more faster and easier. Pls let us know if any further queries.

Regards,

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

If you want to include MDM in-between ECC and BW system, then you will need to do the following:

• You need to send data to PI receiver system in some predefined format(comma separated text or XML file).
  • PI system will process the extracted data, perform transformations and then converts data in a format suitable for MDM system(generally XML file).
  • XML schema is created for data import and uploaded in SAP MDM system and then import map is prepared based upon that XSD and assigned to the port created for auto import of data into MDM.
  • PI pastes the file in Ready folder of Port and then data is auto imported based upon import map.
  • Once data is updated in MDM system, data is enriched/cleansed in MDM before sending(syndicating) the data to external systems.
  • Data is sent based upon syndicator map which ensures that data is alwasys sent in 1 particular format(based upon the requirements of destination system).
  • Port is created to automatically syndicate data to external systems based upon associated map.
  • Data sent from MDM is picked by PI system again and is converted into the desired format at destination system.
  • After conversions and transformations, PI send data to destination system, where it is processed as per the requirement.

So you would need to perform these steps for sure. I hope this answers your question.

Please let me know in case you need more information.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

a_ahmad
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi guys,

thanks for extensive reply.

Do we need extractors on ECC side e.g comp_code_attr? how to extract data from ECC into MDM? for example if want to bring Company code data into MDM from ECC.

Do we need infoObjects on BW side? where the mapping of source fields and target infoobjects is done?

thanks

Ahmed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmed,

You would certainly need extractors on ECC side and send to PI system through Outbound port or ABAP proxy(you need to choose). If you need to extract company code data, then you need to extract data from ECC tables and send it in some file to PI system and then PI system will send it to MDM system after converting the format to XML or text.

Mapping for info objects to be done in EDWH system only. PI system will provide the file to EDWH system in certain format(say XML), then mapping has to be done based upon the XML segments and EDWH destination fields.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

a_ahmad
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

In your previous reply, first you mentionend that "you need Extractor/datasources on ECC side"

Then it is mentioned that "you need to extract data from ECC tables"

Do we need to activate these datasources on ECC side and for what reason? or

Are we extracting data directly from ECC tables (table mentioned under datasource e.g. "T001" in case of 0comp_code_attr)?

after reading a 'white paper on MDM' I learnt that there is only one extactor on MDM side MDM_CLNT_EXTR and extraction object e.g. MATERIAL_EXTRACT to extract material master data.

Am I right to say:

MDM extracts data from ECC using MDM_CLNT_EXTR and extraction object.

MDM extracts data from Master data table MARA (not from data source 0material_attr)

It can bring delta

do we have Extraction objects for other master data like Cost center, company code....etc. and what about Hierarchies like CC hier.

For me, sending data to BW is not clear yet. is there any object like extraction mdm_clnt_extr which sends data to BW system.

It could be on BW side, need to create a XML based data source or a data source to get data from XI/PI system for InfoObject e.g. 0material.

Thanks

Ahmed

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahmad,

MDM does not perform any job of extracting data from ECC system neither it has any such functionality in itself. MDM_CLNT_EXTR is specific to ECC system which is executed automatically using ABAP APIs.

The transactions MDMGX & MDM_CLNT_EXTR are T codes used when SAP MDM system is integrated with ECC (R/3) system. To interate MDM with ECC, we need to do configure it. By using MDMGX, Lookup data (reference data) can be extracted from ECC & pushed to MDM application (automatically) or download the data & upload it manually in MDM .

By using MDM_CLNT_EXTR, Main table data is extracted from ECC & pushed to MDM application.

Above data extractions are done by ABAP API.  ABAP API's will be used to perform functions automatically from ECC system rather than manually usng MDM Data Manager. These can also be used to upload or update data of any specific fields in MDM by pulling data from ECC tables. Please refer the following document giving more insight : http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-30221

Regards,

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ankush

Could you explain about the data from MDM to BI directly with MDM _BI Integration.

What are the prerequisites in BI ? (here i dont want to use PI in between).

Could you please reply me back with the steps necesssary this scenerio.

Like: Objects needed.. mappings.. transoformations in BI( I just aware of this the BI terms and have access to BI and MDM system.

Please someone help me inreplicating this scenerio providing me the step by steps.

regards

Shifali.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmad & Shifali,

Following steps would help data transition from MDM to BI system.

Requisites in MDM for syndication to BI system: Outbound remote system, Outbound port, syndication map.

MDM Syndicator will place the file in xml/text format in ready foler of Outbound port.

From here PI will pick the file and send it to destination system.

MDM does not have the fundtionality to send data to destination system(BI or R3) in itself. PI is supposd to be involved for transferring file from ready folder of MDM outbound port to destination BI system.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if any queries

Regards,

Ali

a_ahmad
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

Mainly I am interested to know if the world changes from ECC-BW (in terms of extracting master data) to ECC-MDM-BW then how things work. (tech. stuff is well explained by Ankush)

what i have understood:

-MDM_CLNT_EXTR will extract data from ECC using ABAP APIs (automatic process)

-It will extract data from master data table (for example, in case of company code master data: not from ECC datasource: 0comp_code_attr but from ECC table: T001)

If above is true, then we don't need datasources anymore on ECC as we are getting data directly from tables

-MDM_CLNT_EXTR: here we have 'extraction object' (for example in case of extracting Material data: Material_extract)

-MDMGX to extract ref. data from ECC

please correct me if above is wrong.

with above process and technical config. we have data in MDM. Now to send it to BW. Again the tech. step have been described by Ankush earlier. But, what type of 'datasource' we will create in BW to get data from XI/PI and have the data available in BW and feed to a master data InfoObject.??

Regards

Ahmad

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ahmad,

Above understanding is correct. Slight modification would be required in ABAP based on type of data required for process. You might have to check with an ABAP programmer for this.

For your queries on BW, please refer following documents for Integrating MDM with BI 7.0 Using Logical Connection Object, Part 1, 2, 3:

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/b01e4269-f744-2b10-929b-fa7b49aa...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/d06a92de-614e-2b10-4989-d913c215...

https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/00f0d853-936f-2b10-1880-d3deb1fb...

Also refer the link supplied below. Hope all these information helps you!

Regards,

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ahmad,

Since you plan to use MDM between ECC & BW, I am sure you also need to use SAP PI as a middleware for transition of data from MDM to BW.