cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recovery options

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I want to prepare a recovery from the disaster recovery scenario, but I´m getting some doubts after I´ve read the Disaster Recovery for Oracle.

In this document explain two method for recover the whole system after a disaster system. Recovery via BRRECOVER or BRRESTORE, but It´s recommended the BRRECOVER Mode.

In this situation only with on backup Offline/Online+ archivelogs will be able to recovery the system? Will I need the initSID.sap configuration file?

BRRECOVER options for disaster recovery

1 ~ BRRECOVER profile (profile) ...... [initSID.sap] This configuration file is the newest installed, Have I to put the old initSID.sap?

2 - Restore device type (device) ..... [disk]

3 # BACKINT/Mount profile (parfile) .. [] In this point, we can to indicate the path of the backup online? The archivelog backups will be detected from the DB Online or after the recovery of database I´ve to make the recovery of archivelogs?

4 - Recovery interval (interval) ..... [30]

5 - Confirmation mode (confirm) ...... [yes]

6 - Scrolling line count (scroll) .... [20]

7 - Message language (language) ...... [E]

8 - BRRECOVER command line (command) . [-t disaster -p initSID.sap -d disk -i 3

0 -s 20 -l E]

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In this situation only with on backup Offline/Online+ archivelogs will be able to recovery the system? Will I need the initSID.sap configuration file?

Hi,

well strictly speaking: No!

Desaster recovery assumes a complete loss of the machine,

So you first need to set up a new system in terms of physics.

- Filesystems

- Network connectivity

- Recover your operating system

Once this is available, you need to recover the software.

- SAP Kernel

- Oracle HOME, ...

Once you have this, you need to restore the DB.

Yes, as for the DB everything you need should be backed up with brbackup/brarchive.

Unless your initSID.sap (and may be initSID.utl) was not part of your filesystem Backup

restored in the second section, you can now proceed, otherwise you need to get these

back manually, or at least in a minimal way, before you can restore these from the

brbackup run.

After this, you can do the DB recovery in any way you like brrecover to do it.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer,

When we make a disaster recovery we have to indicate a backup offline/online+archivelogs. In this step previous to the DB recovery, What is it do? the datafiles aren´t recovered,no?

After We have made the database recovery I have to make a recovery with one of these options.

1 = Complete database recovery

2 - Database point-in-time recovery

3 - Tablespace point-in-time recovery

4 - Whole database reset

5 - Restore of individual backup files

6 - Restore and application of archivelog files

7 - Disaster recovery

In the two steps, Disaster recovery and further Recovery with one of Complete Database Recovery, Database Point in time Recovery, I must to use the same backup backup offline/online+archivelogs.

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> In the two steps, Disaster recovery and further Recovery with one of Complete Database Recovery, Database Point in time Recovery, I must to use the same backup backup offline/online+archivelogs.

You must have init<SID>.sap file while restoring/recovering the database. Please follow the guide, below;

http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/library/uuid/a975013a-0d01-0010-7c9d-dcfda2e3b...

Everything have been explained, very well

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

brrestore -n init_ora will be restored the configuration files. At the first sequence init<SID>.ora will restored. Then, init<SID>sap and as a last step reorg_log will be restored from the backup.

Please search for "Restoring the init<DBSID>.sap File from Tape" in the document, I noted in my previous message. You will find the answer in it.

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Orkun,

I´ve read the the document and I´ve some doubts.

1-.Are there two ways for recovery the system for Disaster recovery, recovery with BRRECOVER and BRRESTORE,no?

2-.First step says this:

Select restore from BRBACKUP or BRARCHIVE backup.

You select the BRBACKUP or BRARCHIVE backup that contains the required profiles and logs.

In the menu option of Disaster recover, where can I to select the BRBACKUP or BRARCHIVE?

1 ~ BRRECOVER profile (profile) ...... [initSID.sap]

2 - Restore device type (device) ..... [disk]

3 # BACKINT/Mount profile (parfile) .. [] In this step, Must I to put the path of backup?

4 - Recovery interval (interval) ..... [30]

5 - Confirmation mode (confirm) ...... [yes]

6 - Scrolling line count (scroll) .... [20]

7 - Message language (language) ...... [E]

3-.In the step of select profiles and log files, I need or must to select all profiles or logs for to be able to do the further recovery?

4-. For to do the Database point-in-time (PIT) recovery after the recovery, the SAP system must be up or down?

5-.Once a time the SAP system is installed for to make the disaster recovery, the sap system must be down and Oracle Database must be in mount status? Or can be in SAP system up and Oracle in open status?

Thanks a lot.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,         

1-.I was executing the command

1.      You start BRGUI or BRTOOLS.

2.      You choose Restore and recovery Disaster recovery.

3.      You choose the required procedure: In this step, I don´t have the next options.

¡Restore profiles and logs files from BRBACKUP backup

¡Restore profiles and logs files from BRARCHIVE backup

And we have this options:

1 = Complete database recovery

2 - Database point-in-time recovery

3 - Tablespace point-in-time recovery

4 - Whole database reset

5 - Restore of individual backup files

6 - Restore and application of archivelog files

7 - Disaster recovery

8 - Reset program status

2-.For to make the recovery the backup could be online or must be online_cons?

Thanks

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Desaster recovery assumes you have none of the protocol files

from brbackup/ ora brarchive. So the first step is to restore these.

The procedure differs slightly with the backup device type, so may be you should tell us first, how you did create your backups (native tape/native disk/util_file/rman/rman_util).

Then you restore the controlfiles. Again, the procedure differs with backup_device_type!

Then you restore datafiles. Pretty straight at this point.

May be you restore an rman-incr backup. (depending if you have one)

Then you restore and recover logs.

You open the DB.

The state of the SAP is always DOWN in this process.

The state of the DB is changed a couple of times in this process, depending on when the

controlfiles are restored and if rman was used somewhere in the process.

Volker

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer Volker,

The backups are online and disk. This are the value of the parameters in initSID.sap

I´ve read that the backups online are not valid for to do the Disaster recovery that It must online_cons. Is it correct?

Then Once a time the system are refresh installed It will be stopped and start the operations of disaster recovery for recovery de profiles and logs and after that to make the recovery for recovery the datafiles.

volker_borowski2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

why would you INSTALL a new system, when your job is to recover it?

I mean, you have to install a system and overwrite the DB as a recovery procedure IF YOU HAVE NO FILESYSTEM BACKUPS, but better you have those!

I think requesting an online_cons as a base for desaster if indeed requested is a bug.

It has to work with standard online backup and brarchive as well, otherwise I would log a servicecall.

I have a system that is backing up for some 20 hours depending on activity and I

would never be in the mood of blocking brarchive to save logs just to satisfy an online_cons.

If you device type is DISK, it has to be a remote disk or it will be destroyed as well.

If it is a remote Disk, you need to setup or restore an initSID.sap manually, to get

the correct path to the disk directory back, so that brbackup knows where to search.

Fortunately, a copy of the initSID.sap will be stored at the target location (subdirectory SID), so you can simply copy it from there. After this you should be able to proceed, because you do not need a .utl file.

With the correct initSID.sap the process should be straight forward for DISK backups.

You select both(!) of the desaster recover options to restore the protocols first!

First brbackup, then brarchive.

Once you have these, brrecover should take care of the rest, requesting all information required.

Volker

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ruben,

>> In this situation only with on backup Offline/Online+ archivelogs will be able to recovery the system?

Yes, restoring datafiles and offline redolog will be enough to open the database. Please note that you need to import offline redologs after the restore, in order to perform point-in-time recovery.

>> Will I need the initSID.sap configuration file?

It would be good to keep init<DBSID>.sap file with the backup

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer Orkun,

Then after select the option disaster recovery, with the fresh initSID.sap I will be able to recovery the system and after that Have I select the option Restore and application of archivelog files for make the point-in-time recovery?

In the disaster scope theoretically the file initSID.sap if it not avalaible. Then It will not necessary for the do the recovery?

Former Member
0 Kudos

>> Then after select the option disaster recovery, with the fresh initSID.sap I will be able to recovery the system and after that Have I select the option Restore and application of archivelog files for make the point-in-time recovery?

Yes, this is one of the feature of brrecover. Please find the info, in the document at the bottom of my message.

>> In the disaster scope theoretically the file initSID.sap if it not avalaible. Then It will not necessary for the do the recovery?

Theorically, yes it is correct, but in order to open the database, correct init<DBSID>.sap must be exist

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/47/1d9aba8ffb2c7be10000000a114a6b/content.htm

Best regards,

Orkun Gedik