Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

changing password character length

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

as per my company policy we need to change the password character length.

what changes i will do.

will it effect the old passwords(current user passwords)?

please suggest me.

rgds

vinnu.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

manohar_kappala2
Contributor
0 Kudos

For modifying the password length

change the profile paramter "login/min_password_lng" to the value as per the companies policies. As far as my knowledge goes it will not effect the old passwords but once these are reset they will need to adhere to the new rules. So their old password will work fine until it is changed.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Manohar Kappala

3 REPLIES 3

manohar_kappala2
Contributor
0 Kudos

For modifying the password length

change the profile paramter "login/min_password_lng" to the value as per the companies policies. As far as my knowledge goes it will not effect the old passwords but once these are reset they will need to adhere to the new rules. So their old password will work fine until it is changed.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Manohar Kappala

0 Kudos

Yes, changing the password policy will not effect passwords that have been set previously - unless explicitly requested (available as of NetWeaver 2004s / 7.00 - see <a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/862989">SAP Note 862989</a> : login/password_compliance_to_current_policy = 1).

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I assume that you are refering to the maximum length of passwords (in ABAP systems) - not the minimum length (which you can configure using a profile parameter).

The maximum length of passwords cannot be changed (in ABAP systems); it is hardcoded and depends on the release: prior to NetWeaver 2004s (7.00) it's 8 characters; as of NetWeaver 2004s it's 40 characters. See <a href="https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/862989">SAP Note 862989</a>.