cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to delete project version in CN41

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello friends,

My requirement is to delete a project version for one project and hence I tried to delete project version in CN41 (as suggested in some of forum threads) but, I was unable to find the both project versions and delete option (CN41-->Extras-->delete project versions), please let me know where I am going wrong.

Also, I wanted to know, the project version for my project is manually created or automatically created? how to check the same. And, is there any other t-code/report where we can see project versions of a project?

Thanks,

Regards,

Sumanth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumanth,

Project versions are snapshots of a project at a specific point, and are used for documenting the progress of a project over time. Both quantities and values are stored in versions. Project versions are created either manually, or automatically when a status changes.

Project version can be manually created while changing the WBS, network, in the Structure/Dates information system for one or more projects. You can use the transaction CN71, CN72

After this, when you execute report CN41, just go to "Change DB profile ( CTRL + F3) " option and click on Version data. Then you can enter Project defintion and execute the report. You will be able to see report with Project versions showing current data. After this you can go to option Extras/Environment-> Delete Project versions.

Try this in test system first ...

Also refer discussions on thread http://scn.sap.com/message/13635791#13635791

Regards

Tushar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tushar,

Thanks a lot for your response. The info provided by you was very useful.

But, I would like to inform you, basically I have a project (X), for which I wanted to delete the project version. For this, firstly, I wanted to know what are the project versions created for this project (one or Many, how to see them) and secondly I wanted to delete them. Here, to be frank, I am not sure that the project versions are manually created or automatically, please let me know how to check that too?

Thanks again for your inputs.

Regards,

Sumanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumanth,

Project versions created via CN71, CN72 are manually created one.

Project versions created for specific project can be compared via CN41N,S_ALR_87013539.

Regards

Tushar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tushar,

Thanks a lot for your response.

I understood that, the project versions of my project are automatically created (as I can see the version profile is maintained in the project profile of the project). When I went to CN41 and try to delete the project version… It asked me the SESSION & VER KEY.. I did not enter anything and clicked on enter.. then it asked me whether do you wanted to delete versions.. then I said YES… when I click YES.. it displayed a message ‘Project version is being deleted’  Is it end of the process?  How can I assure that, the project versions are being deleted completely?

Thank you,

Sumanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumanth,

Before deleting Project version, if you execute the report CN41, you will be able to see report with Project versions showing current data.

After you delete Project version (after the message "Project version is being deleted"), if you execute the report again, you will see report without any Project version.

This means your Project version is deleted.

I just tried in my test system and it worked.

Regards

Tushar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tushar,

I have tried the way you explained in CN41, but was unable to delete. Please fins attached the document containing screen prints of deletion, please have a look and let me know, where I am going wrong.

Thank you,

Sumanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Sumanth,

I think you have not saved version correctly.

Please try to create version newly in CN72 by entering all the parameters like Version Key,Description and in Version Group. Then you can save the version.

Now try to execute CN41 report with click on Version data in Change DB profile ( CTRL + F3) " option.

When you execute this report, you should get two lines for each Project Object ( Proj.def,WBS etc..)

I am not able to see two lines in your initial screen showing output of CN41.

Try this and all other steps mentioned in earlier thread and this should resolve your issue.

Regards

Tushar

Former Member
0 Kudos

HI Tushar,

I have created project versions 1, 2 & 3 for the project using CN72. When I went to CN41, I was able to see all the three versions there.

When I execute the report, I have also got two lines for each Project Object ( Proj.def,WBS etc..)

Now, when i tried to delete the project version 3, I have go the same msg 'project version is being deleted' but, when I come out of CN41 & again logged in the project version 3 still exists.

PFA the scree print also let me know is there anything I need to take care.

Thank you,

Sumanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumanth,

When you create version 3 initially, you must have entered some version key ( for e.g. 3) there.

Enter same version key when you try to delete project version in CN41 by clicking on option

" Extras/ Environment".

Also after you get message " Project version 3 is being deleted" , come out of CN41 totally.

If possible open new session and execute CN41 and check the report.

I just tried by this method and was successful.

Regards

Tushar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tushar,

I have followed the steps as mentioned by you and I was able to delete the version 3 (for expmle) in development system. Thanks a lot for your inputs.

Please help me with my minor queries on the same below, would be a great help for me-

I can see project versions for a project via table VSPRPS_CN, but how to confirm that a version is manually created or automatic (is it by version profile in project profile OR anyother thing?)

& Is there any impact if I delete project versions for a project? What are the implications?

Thanks again,

Sumanth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sumanth,

If you generate status dependent project versions, the version profile determines which data is copied to the project version. If you create project versions manually either in the network maintenance transaction (CN22) or in the WBS maintenance transaction (CJ02), the version profile also determines which data is copied. If you use transactions CN71 or CN72 to create project versions manually, then all data will be copied to the project version irrespective of the version profile

You use a version profile to define two different kinds of information. First, you specify which version is created automatically when a specific system status or user status is set. Second, you specify which data is to be written to the versions that are created automatically.

You need to define a version profile if you wish to have versions created automatically, or if you wish to generate versions directly from the WBS or network maintenance transactions.

You do not need to define a version profile if you wish to generate versions manually from the Structure/Dates information system or if you use transaction CN72.

The version profile is entered in the project profile and network profile.

For more details, I would suggest to go through sap help

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_46c/helpdata/en/d8/1fe8344d1d166be10000009b38f83b/frameset.htm

Please close your issue if it is answered.

Regards

Tushar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Tushar,

It was a crystal clear info and was very useful. Thanks a lot for such a detailed info.

Appreciate your support.

Thanks again,

Sumanth

Answers (0)