cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change Default Language English to other Language in SP05?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi everyone,

I have created Attribute Views by joining two tables using text join and when I tried to change the default language(for example default language  EN to DE) in the properties I could not find the option for changing .can anyone please help me in solving it.

Regards,

Hemanth

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi swati

Hi I have executed following command I could find the locale. I have changed default EN to DE. when I validated the Attribute view in the data preview I could still view the text of English only and the DE one None. Can you please have look over it

Regards,

Hemanth

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Your SPRACHE should contain value 'D' for the DE language and associated text. Right now it shows NONE, which is not mapped to any language.

Regards,

Ravi

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi again,

ok - one thing after the next.

In HANA Studio you can configure the locale to be used by right-clicking onto the system/logon-entry in the 'Navigator' -> [Properties] -> [Database User Logon] -> [Additional Properties].

Once you found your way to it the dialogue window should look somewhat like this:

Select the LOCALE entry you want to use and click on [OK].

After a reconnect the session context variable LOCALE should reflect the change.

BTW: the context variables are case-sensitive, therefore 'LOCALE' and 'locale' are different from each other.

As long as you're using HDB Studio it really doesn't help to manually set the LOCALE since this is a per connection setting and HANA Studio opens new connections all the time (e.g. for the data preview).

So the setting you've setup in one session won't be active in the other sessions.

- Lars

Answers (7)

Answers (7)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all!

I already have the locale = 'S' in HANA studio, but when i open the CV with

Lumira, i recibe all the description characteristics, in another language, i tried to

configure the language in the Lumira's preferences pane, and i doesn't Work.

Finally i have to make an attribute view with a filter in the language for achieve the

requierement, but i want to know, why Lumira is not using the expected language.

Regards...

Jorge_Merino
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Widerman,

I am having an issue similar to the one you have reported: I have setup the HANA Studio with locale = 'S' and Predictive Analyisis with Spanish Language. When I retrieve information from an attribute view with language dependent texts, SAP HANA returns the English texts.

Having a look at the HANA session context I've realized the locale parameter is not set (It seems SAP Predictive Analyisis doesn't pass the locale parameter when connecting to SAP HANA):

Jorge_Merino
Discoverer
0 Kudos

HI Widerman,

I've been able to access HANA with locale = 'S' by changing the user locale in SAP HANA:

ALTER USER <user_name> SET PARAMETER LOCALE = 'es_ES.UTF-8';

Regards,

Jorge

Former Member
0 Kudos

This message was moderated.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey guys (i.e. , @Ravindra Channe - sorry Ravi, looks like tagging isn't working),

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but not quite getting text join to work.

If I look at my system settings, English has already been set (defaulted) for locale:

When I check M_SESSION_CONTEXT though, it doesn't show up (and strangely enough, nothing here is showing up aside from PROTOCOL_VERSION, even though before I went to lunch, I was also seeing APPLICATION, APPLICATIONVERSION, etc...) :

(And to give the context of my test - I queried the base text table and see languages 'E' and 'S', but when I query the distinct SPRAS or description fields from the Analytic View, no results are returned).

I'd rather avoid hard-coded language filters (even though for now reporting will only be done in English), and it of course doesn't make sense to set session locale via SQL - it should be picked up dynamically from the client.

Suggestions on anything obvious that I'm missing?

Thanks!

henrique_pinto
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

While this doesn't reply to your question, apparently LOCALE is not a supported (or at least, not documented) KEY vale anymore for this reference view.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_hanaplatform/helpdata/en/20/c50b73751910148ae9d5b996ff1e84/content.htm

I'd recommend following up with a discussion thread.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Well thanks for catching that Henrique.

If this thread gets much bigger I'll open a new one.

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

AFAIK the *LOCALE* key had been removed from the documentation as it is implicitly set at connection time and cannot be set correctly via the SET command.

The mechanism for locale dependencies however is still in place.

- Lars

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hey Jody,

what revisions are you using and which client do you use here?

As long as simply ENGLISH (no specific English version) is selected in SAP HANA Studio, then no locale setting is provided via the logon string.

Also no LOCALE/LOCALE_SAP variables are set in this case.

However, these variables simply override the default language, which is in turn English anyway.

In short: even when you don't see the variables, the text filter should work.

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Thanks Lars I have changed the locale and it worked

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ravindra,

Hi SPRACHE contain 'D' for 'DE' language and associated text. I even has mapped TEXT with SPRACHE. You have a look over those

Mapping:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi thanks once again to Lars, Ravindra

I have executed the  SQL statement but I could't find the field Locale to change the language at present I am using  SAP HANA SP05 Sandox (30 trail version).

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hemanth,

I think it is an authorization issue. If you check properly, the first three rows are for system section, including the Locale information. Even I see only three rows with only one row for system.

One more suggestion, kindly mark Lars' replies as helpful. That is the way of saying thank you on this forum. He has shared very valuable information on this discussion thread.

Regards,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I agree with Ravindra, that its authorization issue

I am attaching the snapshot wherein I could view the language.

Thanks,

Swati V

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Hemanth,

Can you pls try to set the language using the following command.

I think, it will resolve your problem

set session 'locale' = 'EN'

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Pretty sure that this is not about authorizations.

Question here would be: what versions of HANA Studio and Server are actually used?

Up to rev. 38 or so the locale wasn't visible via context variables.

This had been introduced rather recently.

Also: m_session_context really is always available - you basically can not have no authorizations on it .

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi thank for responding Lars,Ravindra can you please check it out the below screenshots

SP04:

In the previous version we had the option to change the default language, based on the default language the text used to be displayed

For Example if we change the default language to DE the text also used to display in German.

SP05:

In the latest version I could not find that option in the properties to change the Default Language.

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

As Lars wonderfully explained, earlier, in SP 04 the setting was not completely dynamic, the way you mentioned. It was sort of hard coded when you select the language setting value.

Now you can check the locale as specified by Lars and check what value has been set for your session. You will have to change the locale for your session to change it to another language. The locale setting is mostly what is expected in the real life scenario and now can be achieved.

Regards,

Ravi

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hemanth,

there is no way to change the "default" language for text joins in SPS 5.
The purpose of the text join is to support variable languages - if you need to have the language fixed to a specific value, you may simply create an outer join to the text table with a filter on the language column.

- Lars

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Earlier there was Default Language (like Default client), now I understand that it has been removed and the language will now be selected based on Default language setting for the calling connection (client).

Is this understanding correct ?

Regards,

Ravi

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Good question.

As I'm not too deep into the Modeler development I can't really comment on this.

The thing is: when you selected the default language before SPS 5, the language was not just defaulted, but fixed instead.

So, technically it didn't matter if you selected text join, what you got was the outer join with a constant filter.

The text join really only works with dynamic language selection (that's what makes the text join a text join if you want), so I guess, the developers removed it for simplicity.

Cheers, Lars

former_member184768
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Lars,

Sorry for asking this again, but earlier there was a setting for language called Dynamic,now that it is removed, how can I ensure that when I log in, I should see the text in English and when my colleague logs in, he should see it in Deutsche.

I thought it would depend on the default language set for my profile in BW or BO tool and it will be passed on to the underlying HANA Information models accordingly.

Does this understanding correct ?

Regards,

Ravi

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Right Ravi, I should have mentioned that specifically...

Now in SPS 5, whenever you create a text join it always uses the dynamic language filter (the $$language$$) filter.

The actual value is determined by the session context variable (LOCALE) of the current session.

select * from m_session_context where connection_id=current_connection;

HOST  PORTCONNECTION_IDKEY              VALUE              SECTION
xxx30003200918      CLIENT                              SYSTEM
xxx30003200918      PROTOCOL_VERSION  4.1 (1, 1)        SYSTEM
xxx30003200918      LOCALE            en                SYSTEM
xxx30003200918      APPLICATIONVERSION1.0.49.201301220705USER  
xxx30003200918      APPLICATION      HDBStudio          USER  

These setting are usually set by the respective HANA clients (e.g HDBStudio).

If and how BW or BO sets it, is something I don't know, but I assume they do it correctly to match the locale of the end-users setups.

Cheers, Lars