cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material Master numbering for Global Implementation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We are implementing Global Template where ECC and MDM is implementing at a time. There is no ECC footprint in creation of Material Number. We are discussing non-intelligent Global ID creation for material master. We are looking for impact analysis, pros and cons whether we should create Material ID in ECC (Internal material range with Material type) or we should create sequential unique ID in MDM.

Appreciate your views, suggestions, or experience on this.

Best Regards,

Satish

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sathish,

How many systems are involved in this implementation ?

Will data be moving in/out of MDM & ECC ? Are you using PI as middleware?

To Address your query, i think best approach is to have Material Number created in ECC system along with Global ID (being created in MDM). Both these IDs can be linked via remote key in MDM.

For Eg: If Material ABC is created in ECC system & flows to MDM resulting in Global Unique ID being created "123456". With the help of remote key mapping option in MDM, whenever there is any update to Material ABC it will be updating 123456 in MDM too. These IDs can be maintained in both ECC & MDM.

Please check and let us know your approach.

Regards,

Ali

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Mir,

Thanks for your reply.

SAP MDM will be a leading system in our landscape and PI will be used as a middleware. Actually we are looking for impact on business if we go for sequential global ID created in MDM. What we will not achieve if we do not create material number in ECC as per material type?

Once we decide for the strategic decision to create material number then your approach is suitable on how to generate material number. Please let me know your views on this. Thanks.

Regards,

Satish

Former Member
0 Kudos

Sathish,

I suppose creating sequential ID in MDM would rather be helpful for the materials being created.

Q:What we will not achieve if we do not create material number in ECC as per material type? 

A:This has to be decided based on your business requirement. I guess creating material number in ECC system or MDM will not be a factor of worry unless there are too many systems which are not linked to each other.

Above options could be better judged based on the no. of systems involved in the landscape!

Pls share your thoughts too!

Regards,

Ali

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Satish,

As far as i think, you should maintain number ranges in ECC based upon Material Type.

If you go for only sequential ID, you will not be able to judge if the material number represents finished goods or Raw Material etc. This can be confusing at time when there are large number of materials in the system.

Another option is to use Qualified Range for Remote system to be used for syndicating data to ECC system. This will enable you to generate material numbers automatically based upon Material Types. You just need to mention Range of Material Number for every Material Type.

Only drawback here is that you should not maintain Material Number when you import or create material number in MDM. You need to syndicate data to ECC as such and system will generate material number automatically and you can update the generated number as Material number in ECC.

Also to maintain Material Number back in MDM, you can ask PI team to paste the syndicated file(containing generated Material Numbers) back in Ready folder for some port maintained to import material numbers(or materials) so that material number is updated in MDM as well.

Please let me know your thoughts on this as well.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush Bhardwaj

Former Member
0 Kudos

Satish,

As you said, SAP MDM will be the leading system. So, what I understood is: Material will be created first in MDM then it will be distributed to ECC. Correct me if I am wrong.

1. How are you planning to load/create data in MDM? Would it be manually using data manager or via any template (Excel/text)?

Ques: Actually we are looking for impact on business if we go for sequential global ID created in MDM. What we will not achieve if we do not create material number in ECC as per material type?

Ans: You will not be able to differentiate b/w materials, as number range will be sequential for all the material types. MDM cannot modify Global-ID, as this will be auto generated sequential number.

Thx/ -Tarun