cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heterogeneous system copy to migrate to a different OS

jamal_asi
Participant
0 Kudos

We need to perform a heterogeneus system copy to migrate our OS.

Source System: NW04/BW 3.5 with Oracle 9.2.0.8 and AIX 5.3. The size of the database is 4 TB

Target System: NW04/BW3.5 with Oracle 11.2.0.3 and RedHat Linux 6.3 on X86_64.

I have used the master CD to start the SAPINST process which in turn initiated the R3load process to perfrom the export. The export is performed in a test environment. It is taking over 4 days to Complete (over 96 hours). This is not acceptable down time for production.

I'm looking for suggestion from people who have done OS migration with database size of 4 TB and up. How did you minimize the downtime for the export process?

How big was your database and how long did it take to export your database?

All suggestions/advise are appreciated.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Just these details wont be sufficient , can you please share the output of time analyzer.

Presuming that you have set the parameters on the source db for the export, can you please let us know how many number of cpu's , ram and how many r3loads did u choose and what all optimisations have you performed till now.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jamal,

As suggested by Samuli, we would need to get help of SAP IMIG service for the migration.

I migrated around 50 systems last year and of which the highest DB size was about 10  TB which was exported and imported in 18 hours. The version is Netweaver 7.0

At the same time, we migrated a old system of 2 TB which took nearly 3 days for export and import. We are currently working to optimize it. We even tried with fully optimization of DB and SAP as well as used the CPU to the max.But of no use.

From our end, the maximum for old systems we can do is to optimze the DB as well as OS memory parameters. There are many awesome features which are available now are not present in the old systems.

So I would suggest you to check with SAP regarding this.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

See the system copy optimization guide http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-14257

If you don't mind the additional cost, you might as well get IMIG service from SAP. See SAP note 693168 for details.

https://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/693168