Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where should be the batch determined

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

we have MM, WM and SD.

We are now determining the batch when the delivery document is created, but we are having problems when we have different batches of the same material in the picking area >> when the OTs area created, they are created for the batch that was determined in SD, so it takes some part of the picking area (storage typoe in WM) and other part of the racks. I would like to determine first the batches that are in the picking area and then the ones that are in the rack.

Is it a good practice to determine the batch when the OT is created and not in the delivery document? how could I replace the VL71 transaction (changing the determination in the OT creation) it does not show me the batch in this report....is there any WM transaction? does it affect the invoicing process?

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

batches can be determined in sales order or delivery or WM transport orders.

it is really an OR, you should not do it in delivery and again in WM, as you may get conflicting values.

the big unknown part is: what is the driver for batch management of certain part and batch determination in your company.

e.g in a chemical industry you may have a reactor to cook 50 tons of a material. batch characteristics may be the color and ph-value.

if you do another production the other day, then the color and ph-value maybe slightly different.

if you do not use batch management, then you find 100 tons in your stock, you do not know when was it produced and you dont know this classification of an individual part out of these 100 tons.

With batch management (and of course putting the batch number on the label) you can lookup  in SAP to know exact if this batch has the darker color or the higher ph-value.

if you send samples to your customer, and customer order from batch 1, then you can enter it in the sales order, and from there it is flowing all the way through delivery to the TO, and your guys in the warehouse have to pick this batch and cannot just pick another because it is more convenient for them to pick at a certain shelf only.

if the customer just says: I am okay with ph-value 5,5  - 6, then you have to determine a batch which fulfills these criteria. And as one batch may not be sufficient for the ordered quantity you may even send 2 or 3 batches, then the best place for batch determination is the delivery as here the batch split is done automatically (in the sales order someone would need to do it manually and enter several items).

If the ph-value and color does not play a bigger role, and you only want the oldest batch in a certain storage type to be picked first , then you do your batch determination in WM.

I will not say that the batches do not affect billing. they actually do, as the billing is done at batch line, which can cause in rare cases a small difference in the amount compared to billing at the delivery item line only. Each batch is an extra line in the bill, quantity by price, and the sum of all those results can be  differ from a result if you just calculate total quantity by price because of rounding issues, especially if the price is based on alternative units (e.g. stock keeping in KG, billing based on LBS)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jürgen,

Thanks a lot for your complete answer.

The industry I work for is a cpg one. The batch we send to the customer has just got to have certain time of expiration date....we guraantee it by a replenishment process we have, but sometimes it happens that 2 batches are in the picking storage type and the up storage type.

We made some testing changing the determination from the delivery document to the Order transfer creation time, but we had problems with the SD reports (for example: VL71 is printed and used for the picking process).

In cpg industries where is usually done the batch determination? Is there any WM transaction I can use for the picking process, so that it shows me the batch?

Thanks a lot

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I dont think that batch determination is industry specific.

As cpg includes companies like P&G and Kraft and Coca Cola, they might do a lot by shelf life, which can be done most convenient from deliveries and WM.

But it sounds you do not really want something automatically, it rather looks that you are looking for a better manual batch allocation . which can be solved by adding a new search help to your F4 search help of batch number field. This  new search help should  lists only batches with quantity and their bins, and maybe  1 or 2 more fields that can support you in your decision.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

You can execute the batch determination in transfer order only when the batch is not determined in the preceding documents (like delivery document). Please refer below help link for more details.

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_erp60_sp/helpdata/en/c6/f83bc64afa11d182b90000e829fbfe/content.htm

Regards

Vijay

Former Member
0 Kudos

sorry OT = WM trasnportation order.

thanks

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what is  OT?