cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will FI/CO suits to Banking profile

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts / Seniors

I have 13yrs of Banking IT experience - Implementation & Production Support. Completed many implementation of Banking products & Parameterisation for many Tier 1 Banks across the globe. I am good and gained expertise in Banking  area and OK in Finance.

Now i would like to take up SAP FI/CO training and complete the certification.

My question?

1) Is there any Module for SAP Banking. If yes what is the name of the module and what is the scope of the module in the current BANKING world?

2) How difficult it would be if I take up FI/CO module to pursue my future career?

My Goal:

- need to work with SAP Financial/banking module

Regards / Vageesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hello Vageesh,

We have 4 curricula that are relevant for the Banking industry:

1. Analytical Banking

2. Transactional Banking

3. Leasing

4. SAP for Insurance

Visit us here to learn more about the contents of these curriculum areas:  https://training.sap.com/sa/en/courses-and-curricula/sap-for-industries

The banking skills you have would make you an ideal candidate for completing any of the SAP for Banking training curriculum.  Access the link I've provided to learn more about foundation knowledge and curricula learning objectives.  Knowledge of the banking industry is key to maximize your potential.

Regarding FI/CO:  This is a different situation altogether. The FI (Financial Accounting) and CO (Management Accounting) applications require you to have foundation Accounting experience.  In other words, you need to have completed several accounting courses in your post-secondary education in order to maximize your learning potential here.  We don't explain what a "Chart of Accounts" is or how it is used, for example, we assume as an Accounting student, you already know this.  We train you how to use SAP FI/CO applications to process the Accounting business transactions that you should already be aware of.

So, in summary, although a Banking background would be complimentary to FI/CO, this doesn't mean that a person with Banking experience could pick up FI/CO without a problem.  It would depend on your level of direct experience with Financial or Management Accounting business processes.

I hope this information has been helpful.  Feel free to reply to this post with any additional questions.

Best,

Regina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Regina,

Thanks for the valuable suggestions.

I have the following queries,

Further to Banking modules, i have not seen much importance for SAP Banking modules in the Banking market. Many Banks across the globe have adopted various Banking products like Oracle's Flexcube, Infosys's Finacle, Temenos's T24, Misys's - Equation, etc. But as per my knowledge, very few (comparatively)  Banks have adopted SAP Banking modules. (Above analyses is purely based on my own experience and limited knowledge across global market. Please correct me if my perception is wrong).

(1) Considering the above factors, will I get a better opportunities and openings for SAP Banking Modules as like FI/CO?

After initial survey on FICO & analyses, I am planning to take up a diploma in Finance/Accounting and then start the SAP FI/CO so that  I can completely involve in Finance and switch over from my current Banking area.

(2) Is it a wise decision?

Following reasons are driving me crazy towards SAP,

1. Good & better opportunities for quality people

2. Better pay (compared to other Software segment/s)

3. Independently start the consultation (considering individual's capabilities)

4. Since SAP FICO is an expensive  & tough subject (easily not reachable to common people), less (comparatively) competition in the market

Regards,

Vageesh

0 Kudos

Hi Vageesh,

The adoption of SAP for Banking solutions is growing around the world, especially with SAP's renewed focus surrounding this industry.  You may not have heard about this yet, but you will. SAP for Banking is SAP's global strategic industry solution for the next few years so you will see and hear a lot more about it than ever before.  Our fully integrated solutions are a big step above our competition.  More and more global banks are implementing SAP for Banking.  Smaller institutions might select one of the competitor products you mention simply because the scope of their business doesn't require a robust solution such as SAP's.

I can only give you my personal opinion about your decision to take on a diploma in Finance/Accounting with your banking background.  It never hurts anyone to obtain additional knowledge about complementary topics.  Keep in mind that in the SAP-world, FI and CO are distinctly different subject areas and finding experts with both FI and CO knowledge is less common these days.  Financial Accounting relates to business transactions leading to external / regulatory reporting whereas Controlling, or Management Accounting, relates to business transactions for internal reporting.  Although both are highly integrated topics, many select either FI or CO as a career path, not both.  SAP Certification is also separate--to be FI & CO certified, you would need to complete 2 academies and take 2 exams.  Based on your plan to get your Accounting diploma, you may find the area you are most interested in, and then follow that path for your certification.

All of the items you mention above are sound reasons for investing in SAP knowledge.  Your ability to become a successful consultant will depend on your ability to apply what you've learned in a real-world environment.  Of course, local market/employment conditions will also impact your future.

It sounds like you have thought through your future plans and I wish you much success!

Best,

-Regina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Regina,

I really appreciated your prompt reply. I have done and doing many surveys on SAP certifications (to align my future/long term goal). Logically your responses are satisfying my queries. Also I read the reviews from Computerworld UK http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/it-business/3267670/sap-we-will-become-largest-supplier-to-banks...  - a motivating article.

Again many thanks for your valuable suggestions. It really helped me to reconcile my thoughts. I have approached local SAP education center at Bangalore, to obtain more information on SAP IS banking course details and its schedule/s.

* After obtaining SAP IS banking certification, I will proceed for FI and CO certifications.

Cheers / Vageesha DHARMAPPA

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Regina,

Needed your help and advice on again the same topic.

I am a banking professional with 7 years of experience in Sales and Business Development and a brief instinct in Operations ( Retail Banking ). Please guide me on the SAP module to be opted for so that my skills are being put in the right direction.

Thanks

Bala kishan

0 Kudos

Hello Bala,

I would recommend you take a look at our Transactional Banking curriculum and certification program.  We are currently updating our curriculum to SAP for Banking 8.0 and you will be able to attend classroom training, attend virtual classes, complete the program in e-learning or register for the E-Academy.  Classroom and Virtual courses will be released at the end of September and e-learning/e-academy by the end of this year.  Find out more here:  Education

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Regina

I am looking for Transactional Banking curriculum and certification program SAP for Banking 8.0.

When  will classroom and Virtual courses will be released. also help with the address and name/email ids of contact person to start it

Regards

Krishan Vasisth

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vageesha

This is krishan from ICICI Bank. i have more then 7 years banking experice and sound knowledge of banking processess. i am will to switch my career to SAP. i have already studies SAP FICO, SD & MM Module. and finally decided to take up SAP IS Banking module for my certification.

Have you achieved your certification ? if yes pls help me with the details like institute you have studied. fee paid and total time you invested to achieve the certificate. pls share contact person details of the institute you have studied the module.

Regards

Krishan Vasisth

0 Kudos

Hello Krishan,

Here is the curriulum map for Transactional Banking 8.0 - click here

To view the schedule, you will first need to select a course (click on the course box), then click on the [All Schedules] tab within the course description. Once you are in the All Schedules tab, select the country for which you want to view the schedule.  For example, FS240 is scheduled in China, Germany and Mexico. The schedule for the country you chose will display on the right side of the screen under the heading 'Book this Offering'.

To learn more about SAP Education training centers, Certification, and other training offerings, visit our global landing page here:  https://training.sap.com/g/en/  From this page, you will see a drop-down field at the top of your screen displaying the word 'Global'.  Use this drop-down to find the local SAP Education pages for the country you are interested in.

Good luck and thanks for your interest in SAP for Banking.

Best,

Regina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Regina,

I am an MBA Finance and have an experience of more than 6 years into Banking in India. I have worked in sales and customer service. I have always been amazed by the buzz of SAP around me. I am very keen to join the field of SAP consultancy. Please guide me, whether going for SAP certification will help in job opportunities. Which field should I choose. I am currently living in Australia.

Regards

Karan

0 Kudos

Hello Karan,

It sounds like you have the right background to consider a career in the SAP for Banking world.  Just like your MBA has opened doors, I suspect that your education and work experience history together with a Certification in SAP for Transactional Banking or SAP for Analytical Banking  would be beneficial for you.  Learn more about our remote self-paced SAP for Banking eAcademies and certification here:  eAcademies

Best of luck!

Regina

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi, Vageesha,

can you tell me if you were successful in clearing the SAP banking module, if yes were you successful in reaching your expected career goal?

I too am in similar state in my career when i think itr right time to enter into SAP banking, but it being a costly training, I am doing my research on it.

please share your story once.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear All,

I`m from Brazil, and use all configuration for banks.

in Brazil always processes are eletronic with the banks.

If you have any questions call me please.

tks

Marco A. Magri

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Mr Marco A Magri

I will appreciated if you could help me about certification in SAP Banking. i have more then 7 years of work exp, with indias No.1 Private sector bank : ICICI Bank Ltd: . i have sound understanding of Assets and Liabilites products and processess of bank.

now i wish to switch my career in SAP using my domain knowledge in it.

Pls guide and help.

Regards

Krishan Vasisth

0 Kudos

Hello Krishan,

Please read my reply to your message on Sept. 18th.

Here is a link to the training path for SAP Transactional Banking which leads to certification, in India:  CLICK HERE

Please contact SAP India directly for more information at +91 080 4082 90 00

Or, send an e-mail to education.india@sap.com  They will be happy to help you.

Best,

Regina

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Regina

Glad to thank you for your wonderful reply for the people who have great queries about their career plan in SAP.

I am Manohar Gadwala, having 8 years of Experience in Retail branch banking. worked for ICICI bank ltd, HDFC Bank ltd and presently working for IDFC Bank ltd in India.

I have done SAP FI and BPC certifications too.

I was in an impression that if I do the SAP certification I will get an opportunity to get into the industry easily. But in reality I faced several interviews and all are offering the entry level with the least packages like 2.5 L to 4.5L. I think it is just because of the Supply is more than the demand in India.

Don't know why, I am very much fond of canada. I have applied for PR and the same is in the process.

My questions are:

1. If I do SAP Transactional banking8.0 will my experience consider and give higher package?

2. What is the way to get higher packages with the existing packages what I have in hand?

3. How is the SAP Job market in CANADA?

4. Will it be easy to get a job in international market as a fresher or with my background. if yes which countries have more openings and opportunities with attractive salaries.

5. At present lot of competition is there in India in SAP modules. Suggest me how to come out of these obstacles and come to a lime light.

Looking forward to here you on this at the earliest.

Once again I really thank you and glad to see you helping people out there with your wonderful answers.

Have a good day.

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Discussion moved from About SCN to SAP Training and Education