cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lookup Main Display fields in another main table

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

I have a Primary Main table say XYZ, and have another main table Customer.

There are 7 display fields in Customer main table – customer number, name, sales org, distribution channel, division etc

I have a field "Customer Details" in XYZ table of Type Lookup Main looking into Customer  main table from XYZ Main table.

We have configured an Item Details iView, for XYZ table.

Now in this scenario, in the item details iView, the Customer Details field displays all the customer main table display fields separated by a comma (customer number, name, sales org, distribution channel, division etc)

Is there any way to segregate these customer main table display fields into individual fields in the UI?

Regards,

Roshani

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roshani,

If you create some field as lookup field, then it will always display all the fields which are maintained as display fields in the source table selected for that field, and yes, separated by comma.

For Example, If Country field in Main table is taking source table(pick list) as Countries table, and Country code and Description are display fields, then it will show countries in Main Table like IN, India or US, United States of America.

So similarly the same is happening for Lookup [Main] field used in your xyz table.

I don't think you will be able to do anything in MDM to display the individual fields(without comma).

But you can write a code in your iView or Component etc so that once data is retrieved from Lookup [Main] field in XYZ table, then it will segregate the values which are separated by comma and display them on Portal screen as individual fields(you might also need to create new output fields in your iView to accommodate each individual field).

This is the easy way out that can be done. I hope this will solve your problem, please update me on your findings.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankush,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, we can write a code, retrieve the values from Lookup [Main] field (Customer Details) and store them in individual fields in XYZ Main table. However, how do we handle the following scenario:

The triggering action for this code to execute is either add/update/import of data in XYZ table. But, if the field values of Customer Main table changes, this change is not replicated in the XYZ main table individual fields as there is no action that is performed on the XYZ table that triggers the execution of code.

So, for existing XYZ entries that has Customer Details field populated, and if any field value for this Customer changes in Customer Main table, then the change is not replicated in the individual fields of XYZ table - unless an action is performed on XYZ table.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roshani,

One solution could be to have a calculated field in Customer table,it will have concatenated values of all the display fields of Customer table,each separated by a delimiter.e.g for A;B;C can be a value of this field.

This will reduce the coding effort required.

Coming to your query,I think if Customer table is updated that change will automatically be visible in other linked table.What is your concern here?

Thanks,

Ravi

Former Member
0 Kudos

Roshini,

If I understand correct, you want Customer details (customer number, name, sales org, distribution channel, division etc) should appear in separate fields in the Item Details iView of XYZ table.

With respect to your question: if there are some changes made in Customer main table, how they will display in XYZ table?

Ans: If I my understanding is correct about your requirement then as soon as you made the changes in Customer main table, the details will be updated in XYZ table automatically.

Let me explain, how you can use customize program.

• Write a program using MDM Java API program, which will fetch the data of Customer Details (Lookup Main field) from XYZ table and segregate the customer details fields.You might need to design the iView using WD.

Note: This program should take record_id/any unique field's value as a input, which will help           this program to fetch the correct customer details.

• Call this code/custom iView via event.

• Event must be triggered on the selection of any record of XYZ table, to see the particular record details. E.g. You searched for some records via portal. Some records will be displayed in the resultSet. You will click on a record to see the Item Details. (At the same, this event should be triggered). Item details iView will be displayed with Customer details in segregate fields.

By this way, whenever you will select any item from resultSet iView, the updated Customer Details will be displayed on the portal.

Note: You can not make changes to any Customer main table's field via XYZ table neither using Data manager nor using Custom development.

Hope, it will help.

Thx/ -Tarun

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Roshani,

Since you are using Lookup[Main] field in XYZ table, it will only display the changes done to the fields which have been maintained as display fields. For example, A,B,C,D fields are display fields in Customer table but E, F, G are not. So if you make any changes to A, B, E fields, it will update the lookup Main field value in XYZ table as A1, B1, C, D(we can assume that previous value was A, B, C, D). But if you are changing only E, F and G fields, then there won't be any change in the lookup [Main] field of XYZ table, because no display field was changed for customer table.

And for triggering the code, you can use some User-Action like wherever user clicks on "Display" or "Edit" button after searching the record from XYZ table. Then code should be executed to fetch the details from XYZ table and display the values in separate output fields in the iView.

I do not think that there would be any problem in doing this. Please let me know if you have any other doubts.

Thanks and Regards,

Ankush

Answers (0)