cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to create Projects importing them using OMA?

isaac_ariza_cruz
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi experts!

By one requirements, we are analyzing if it is possible to create Projects through importing them (via OMA). This should works as follow:

1. User creates Project locally, out of E-Sourcing using excel.
  2. By a custom tool, this excel is converted to OMA file.
  3. OMA file is imported into the system and Project created our of Sourcing is created now in Sourcing.

I've been doing some testing in my DEV system:

1. I've created one Project.
  2. I've exported this Project using OMA.
  3. I've tried to import this OMA file again to the same system wihtout success.
  4. I've tried to import this OMA file again modifying some data as NAME but without success.
  5. I've tried to import this OMA file again modifiting UNIQUE_DOC_NAME but without success.
  6. ...

In summary, I've modifed this exported OMA file in several ways  trying to find out which fields needs to be updated to create a NEW project in the system, but without success.

Therefore, it carry me to some questions:

• Is it possible to create new Projects importing them through OMA feature?
  • If it is the case, do you know how this XML file should be adapted?
  • If it is not the case, do you know if there is any way to cover previous requirement?
  • Do you know which logic follows OMA to import objects?
  • Trace retrieved after importing doesn't provided very specific information. Do you know if there is any kind of log which provides additional information?

Thanks in advance for your time and support.

Best regads,

Isaac

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member200421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Isaac,

One way that you can get the CSV import template by going to the Import area of Setup and taking the steps to do an import using the Preview feature and selecting the "Project" Object Type as seen in the screenshot below:

Once you get to this screen and click on Next, you will see the template and you can just save it to your desktop:

This is the format that you would want to get the projects into that you want to import back into SAP Sourcing.  To get the project information OUT of SAP Sourcing, you can use the "All Projects" query and using the Personalization feature, add the columns you want to import and remove the columns that you don't need.  You'll have to be sure to put it in the format of the CSV template seen in the screenshot above and then use the Import feature to import it.

I would suggest always starting with a small number of projects to make sure the import file is properly formatted and you get the expected results in the system.  Once  you have confirmed this, you can import all of the projects.

Hope this helps.

Rosemary

isaac_ariza_cruz
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rosmary,

Thanks a lot.

Just another question: is it possible to use this CSV file to upload also the custom collections created for a a project? Because as far as I know, each row in the CSV file will create a new entry on Sourcing.

Therefore, how can we use this excel to upload for example 3 rows of a collection belonging to one project?

Thanks again and best regards,

Isaac

former_member200421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Isaac,

I'm afraid you can't import data to extension collections using this import template.  There is a specific import template that allows you to update extension collections for multiple projects at once.  You can find the template by going to Import under Setup and using the Object Type "Extension Collections" and checking the "Preview" button - the template will be available to  you when you click on "Next".  You do need to be careful and test this thoroughly with a small number of rows because you can accidentally add empty rows or duplicate rows.  However, it does the job very nicely.  In this case, you would likely have to work with the two templates - the first to create the projects and the second to update the extension collections on the projects.

I hope this helps to further clarify.

Rosemary

isaac_ariza_cruz
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rosemary,

Thanks again for your support. It has been very helpful.

Anyway and just to be sure there is no other option:

- As you said before, if user wants to use excel to manage projects, we would have to use 2 different files: 1 for the projects and 1 for the project's extension collections. So, a non very user frindly way to deal with this requirement.

For that reason, I'm focusing again checking if it is possible to create a project importing it via *.oma file (or at least, export one project, modify XML and import again). But in all the cases fails.

Therefore, do you know by any chance if this action is not possible using *.oma file and only *.csv files can be used to import files?

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Isaac

former_member200421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Isaac,

I'm afraid that the methods I've suggested are the ones that work.  Generally, when I work with a customer, I provide them examples, do a bit of training or explaining, and work with them to ensure they understand how to format these files, etc.  Once a user has done this a time or two after they've been given some guidance, they are usually fine.  These are standard capabilities that they can work with whenever they need to without having to rely on someone else.  In order to improve the user experience, it's important to provide them a little support and examples.  My experience with this approach has generally been very good. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks much,

Rosemary

isaac_ariza_cruz
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rosemary,

Again, thanks a lot for your support. It has been very helpful.

I will follow your comments trying to cover this requirement.

Thanks again and best regards ,

Isaac

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member200421
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Isaac,

With v7 and beyond, there is a standard CSV importer for projects which works very nicely.  What version of sofware are we working with?  If lower than v7, would an upgrade be considered?  This would probably be ideal

isaac_ariza_cruz
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Rosemary,

First of all, thanks a lot for your support.

I'm working with v7, so we should have access to this standard CSV.

Could you please let me know how can I get this standard CSV and how it can be used to import Projects created out of Sourcing?

Again, thanks a lot and best regards,

Isaac