Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profiles Vs Role

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Can anyone please let me know the difference between Role and Profiles

Thanks you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

Profile is the technical set of auth objects and values that oganise the access in SAP.

Role is the information in the Profile Generator that is needed to build the profile.

Role is also the thing you assign to a user to arrange access.

4 REPLIES 4

Former Member
0 Kudos

Profile is the technical set of auth objects and values that oganise the access in SAP.

Role is the information in the Profile Generator that is needed to build the profile.

Role is also the thing you assign to a user to arrange access.

WolfgangJanzen
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

I like to add: roles can contain more than just a set of authorization values - roles are intended to be defined for business usage.

manohar_kappala2
Contributor
0 Kudos

Role and Profile have one to one correspondence. But Essentially Role is like the user side interface where profile interacts with the system side. Essentially its a container of Authorizations (Auth OBj + Values for fieldss)..

The use of this is it eases the whole role maintainence activity..

To see the difference

try attaching a role to a user without user compare. u will be able to see the tcodes but will not be able to run any transactions as ur user buffer will not have the profiles. So in short Role is what connect ur Profile (with authorizations ) to the End USer.. hope this helps

Regards,

Manohar

Former Member
0 Kudos

Role is defined by business need. Its static. When i say static i mean that roles by themselves cannot give users access to transaction.

Roles may have to be compiled (Authorization fields modified) based on the requirements and then the profiles for the same are generated. Based on what transaction is added to the role the authorization objects for the same are displayed.These can be modified / altered (based on requirements) and then profiles are generated.

Profiles are the runtime versions of roles.

Hierarchy

=======

Role --- > Profile -

> Authorization Object Class -

> Authorization Object -

> Authorization Fields -

> Authorization

(Transactions here are added to role)

best regards

Ravi