cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Archiving" Planning Area Data/Cube Data

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear DP Veterans,

My back up of demand planning area data has 130 million records as of this time.This is just 4 years of data in monthly periodicity.

Trusted experts say this is too much data for SAP to handle. It took 7 full hours in a brand new, fully optimized, fully tuned system, to stage the data to the PSA. Deletion of old request took 1 hour. Update (subsequent) to the infocube took another 2 hour.

All this is in background process chain in the night. so I care a damn about the smoke generated by the infocube while updating this data.

But I am just worried if an animal like Infocube is really designed to hold so much data. .for querying, writing and copying operations

Is there any other technology from SAP or elsewhere to "archive" some of the data. e.g. records older than n months goes to another universe but callable when required. I wish this should happen without having to create several 10's of infocubes. Not because creating a cube is a pain but it means too much clutter to deal with by some good humans who are supporting the system.

Any guidance is appreciated. Please do share any other more peaceful strategies to back up planning area data. .

As of now I I am also downloading the data from cube as a latest csv files to a local network folder lest SAP collapses.

Thanks

BORAT.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

If it is for backup and not for reporting and you have a lot of data, I would suggest to create a new planning version and copy your data there. In this way, the copy process stays in the liveCache memory, which itself has its own backup process, and the copying process should be much faster. Of course, it depends on the sizing of your machine.

regards,

J.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks James,

Nice idea. I did this before but that too takes time but I definately recall its not as much. Yes storing another version is another way of keeping a set of data ready to fight com errors.

PS: Isnt this pretty NORMAL that any DP implementation for a fairly large company who has the pockets to pay for the licenses will have this much data to back up ?.

With few hundred products and few hundred customers I have 130 million records for just 4 years data..

How about someone like P&G backing up its planning area data. Theirs would probably run in several billions !

How are they probably managing their back up ?.

Is this a consultant issue or SAP issue ?

Thanks

BORAT

Thanks

BORAT

Former Member
0 Kudos

Borat,

Performance of the solution is dependent upon the design.  A poorly thought out design will never be 'fast'.

I don't know what P&G does.  However, if I had to consider designing DP solutions for a company as large as this, I can't imagine that the Demand Planning detail would all go into a single Planning Area.  It would make no sense; since there would be no single human being that could comprehend and manage such a large volume of data.  Further, it is extremely unlikely that P&G uses uniform planning processes across all product lines and all regions.

As far as SAP is concerned, I do know that I have heard complaints about DP performance. SAP seems to be moving toward HANA technology in SCM, which theoretically should give performance improvements.

Best regards,

DB49

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks DB49,

HANA sounds like a respite. Thanks for the reassurance.

I am aware of single planning area for  CVC's running in order of 2 million. This was designed by SAP themselves. Same complaints there after sometime.

Presume HAHA replaces APO DB and Live cache both.. ! Such a wonderful product when compromised re performance feels sick to logon to.

Anyway thanks

Borat

Answers (0)