Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restore a ABAP+JAVA system with critical conditions

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

is it possible a full restore on a new server of a ABAP+JAVA system (it was a NetWeaver 7.00 SR3) with database backup and profile backup only?

I'm usre that is possibile for ABAP system only but in this casa for J2EE it's hard because there aren't JAVA export or /usr/sap/<SID> filesystem backup.

Thank you

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Do you have any, even older Java/R3load export of the Dual stack system, you can use it and it will work. But the export needs to be from your source system. Basically what happens in case of a restore of a Dual stack system is that it matches the contents of the Java schema of the Database with the file system export you took. If you dont provide the export from the correct system, it will fail during the Central Instance installation.

if you dont have a java export of source, your java instance is pretty much gone. But you can still salvage your ABAP instance.

Also if you have a Backup of your File system of the Java instance, you may be able to fix your system.

how critical is this instance, if this is production, you are in trouble and will need to do a much larger workaround to fix this.

if you just want this instance to salvage data to build a new instance you can do that. Based on the above, i can guide you on the next steps, Let me know.

~Yogesh

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

is it possible a full restore on a new server of a ABAP+JAVA system (it was a NetWeaver 7.00 SR3)

Will there be a change in the SID or are you moving to a new hardware from the existing hardware without any change in the OS and DB ?

Please confirm this.

Cheers

/ RB /

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Same OS, Same DB, Same release of NW, DB and OS. The source system was crashed yesterday nigth and a filesystem bakcup or J2EE export is not avaiable. Only db and istance profile file.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Try install the system of same version , same database and its version as before... Once done, try to restore the DB backup which you are having as well as the instance profiles.

Use same SID, same hostname and in short make sure you are cloning a system like before. Nothing should change

In this way, it MIGHT work. Got a clue now..

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

Former Member
0 Kudos

There will be a mismatch with the information in the Database and what is at the filesystem. It will most likely not work.

You can restore the database, drop the Java schema. Install a seperate Java system and continue using it as 2 seperate system. this is what SAP is recommending anyway. Of-course if you have any Java development / config in the DB, it is gone. if you have another system with similar java stack, you can export from there and import it here.

This is only a workaround in case of a non-prod system. in case of Prod, it is a different game. if you still have this issue, i can guide you with options but i need to know.

- OS/DB/SAP release

- Prod/test system

- how much Java is being used. is it the vanilla installation or major development/config has been done.

- are you ok to start using a Split system

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

As per the system copy guide, it says that it is possible to restore the DB if the system is ABAP or JAVA or ABAP + JAVA.

However, if the system is  ABAP, It is possible. that we are sure of it.

In case of ABAP + JAVA or JAVA alone , durnig the system copy installation, you will be prompted for JAVA Export location which will be the export of JAVA DB . So we need to take an export of the JAVA system first and try to restore the DB of JAVA. Secondly, apart from /usr/sap/SID backup, there are many other locations that are dependent . So it is not possible to do it. You have to do export/ import method or use SAPINST to restore the DB in the target system. 

So in short,

ABAP => possible

ABAP + JAVA or JAVA => Not possible directly . Use SAPISNT

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal

ganimede_dignan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Source system is not available and no JAVA export is available, so the system is not restorable.

Is it OK?

Thank you.

JPReyes
Active Contributor
Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes. As far as I know, it is not possible to restore the system.

But if you are too good in migrations, then you can give a try.  You can create a label.asc manually and try to restore  DB by  skipping  few steps/phases in the sapinst.

Thanks and Regards,

Vimal