cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do we need a standalone RFC connection b/w BW & ECC to extract SPM data from ECC/SRM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

1. Can we use the existing RFC connection between BW & ECC to extract the SPM data from ECC or do we need standalone RFC connection to extract SPM data to BW from ECC

2. We are planning to use direct data sources to extract the SPM data from ECC to BW, in this case - do we require FTP floder in BW for SPM data ?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

Just to add to what Amarnath has mentioned, if you are not using DEC and if you are only reporting raw data extracted from source systems (ECC/SRM) through data sources, then we will not need FTP as we will not be doing data uploads through files.

Regards,

Prasanna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

Thanks for your reply and I understood what you are saying. In my case I don't need to setup FTP as I am using direct BW data sources.

I do have one more question : Do you think I require DEC ? (At this moment we are planning to extract the SPM data from ECC & SRM only) ...I thought my client don't need this DEC as we are palnning to extract SPM data only from ECC & SRM.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

DEC is not mandatory and you can report based on raw data. But many of the standard SPM reports wont work without DEC data - some of the reports need the classified data.

So if you/your customer are happy with whatever reports work with unclassified/uncleansed data, then you don't need DEC. Otherwise if you need all standard reports to be working and you need accurate reporting then DEC needs to be used.

This is a project decision based on the requirements you have from your customer.

Regards,

Prasanna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

DEC is not mandatory however in case your customer want to analyse for example different types of Suppliers and their complete information then you may not get the info only from ECC. In this case they may choose to go for DEC.

Another thing is as Prasanna rangaraju mentioned the out of the box reports are having are analysed based on the Enriched dimensions. Hence you need to modify this to include source system supplier...source system category etc..accoringly to make these reports work.

Thank you

Best regards,

Amarnath

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Amarnath,

Thanks for your reply. Can you elaborate below paragraph from your reply.

"Another thing is as Prasanna rangaraju mentioned the out of the box reports are having are analysed based on the Enriched dimensions. Hence you need to modify this to include source system supplier...source system category etc..accoringly to make these reports work."

Is DEC part of the SPM implementation or do we need to buy this software and install in BW system>?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna K,

The standard SPM delivered out of the box reports have dimensions "Category" and "Supplier" which are referring to the enriched/DEC data. The values will be available in these dimensions only if the DEC data is loaded through files. So if you are not having DEC, then these reports will not show any data.

Instead, you need to copy these reports into custom reports (or create new reports) and replace the "Category" with "Source System Category" dimension. This dimension "Source System Category" gets loaded when you have loaded the Master data through data sources from your ECC/SRM systems.

Hope it answers your question.

Regards,

Prasanna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for explaining Prasanna.....

Can you answer me for the other question:

Is DEC part of the SPM implementation or do we need to buy this software and install in BW system>?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi again,

DEC is not a software product - it is a service provided by SAP and other vendors. You will extract the files from source systems and send these files to DEC vendor (for ex: SAP). They will cleanse and send the cleansed data back which you will upload into your SPM.

So it is service and yes you need to buy this service.

Rgds,

Prasanna

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Prasanna,

1. Yes normal RFC connections from BW to ECC are enough. Also check the config guide SPM for other configuration settings apart from this.

2. FTP folder you'll setup for BW while setting up the SPM Global settings and which will be used even in Data enrichment also. Hence you setup this as part of global settings.

Thank you

Best regards,

Amarnath