cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRC 10.0 RFC Connectors / Plug-in Parameter 1000 & 1001

Former Member

All, I was wondering if you could provide any experience you’ve had with the following in GRC 10.0

When creating connectors in the foundation system I know you need to create an RFC which connects the GRC (foundation) system to your plug-in (target) system such as ECC, SRM, RM, etc.

The question I have is do you need to create and RFC from your plug-in (target) systems back to your GRC (foundation) system?

I’ve been told that this is required but I have a colleague who has configured GRC and never created the connection from the plug-in (target) systems back to your GRC (foundation) system and everything works completely fine.

I’ve also been told the reason you create the RFC both directions is so you can define each RFC / connector in the plug-in parameters 1000 and 1001. But I’ve also been told these parameters are only required if you are using Risk Terminator within the Target systems?

So I am wondering does anyone know if you REALLY need a connector from the plug-in (target) systems back to your GRC (foundation) system? Also, do we really need to configure parameters 1000 and 1001 within the plug-in systems or are these only related to Risk Terminator?

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kyle,

If you intend to utilise the GRC system against itself (which I presume you are doing so), then those parameters in the Plug In config  do need to be configured. What I usually do as a completeness is create the RFC connection of the GRC system to itself via SM59, and I place this connector ID (i.e. GRDCLNT100) as the value for the 2 parameters (i.e. talking to itself).

These parameters are used by Emergency Access Management and Risk Terminator mainly, but I would not be surprised if these parameters are used overall by GRC to establish a 2-way communication between the GRC system and the plug in system. As best practice I have always configured it regardless.

I hope the answer above helps you.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Harinam,

Thanks you for the great response, exactly what I was looking for! I was wondering if you’ve run into the following scenarios:

The assumption is that even though it appears it’s not needed (Unless it’s GRC to GRC) let’s say I do create an RFC both ways and configure GRC > ECC and ECC > GRC in Parameters 1000 & 1001.

1) What happens if you have 3 ECC clients as your target system? I know you would create 3 RFC’s from GRC to ECC but I am wondering on the reverse. Would you create 3 RFC from ECC to GRC? If you did you would then need multiple entries in parameter 1000. Right? The alternative since RFC's are cross-clinet is that you would just create one RFC from ECC to GRC and then you wouldn’t need multiple entries in the plug-in. What is your experience?

2) At my client we will be connecting DEV GRC to DEV ECC for configuration, etc. We will also be connecting our GRC PRD to ECC DEV for provisioning after post go-live. Similar to above, even if you only have one for each (RFC from ECC prod to GRC DEV) and (ECC dev to GRC dev) the plug-in ECC Dev would then need to have parameter 1000 two times correct? 

Best case I don’t have to worry about configuring those parameter but if its best practice then I want to make sure it’s done correctly. We have over 350+ systems and clients so this is a big consideration for us.

Thanks!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Kyle

Glad to help,

1) You can connect as many target systems to the GRC system. The param entries 1000 and 1001 would all be a 1-many relation per plug-in.

i.e. the GRC system connector would probably be the same in each system (GRCCLNT100) and then in the source system it would be itself (i.e. ECCCLNT100 etc).

2) Good observation about the ECC Dev system requiring to be connected to both the DEV and PROD GRC system. In GRC 5.3, I have done this and it was not a problem as you did not have to configure such a parameter back in that version. I think you can have a multiple entry for Param 1000 (i.e. 2 GRC systems) which then adds a sequence i.e. GRDCLNT100 (0) and GRPCLNT300 (1).

I have not tried this myself yet, but it may be worth giving it a go.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hey Harinam,

Very helpful... Yeah from a 5.3 standpoint it was much easier since you never needed a connection from the target back to the source. I'll give it a try both ways and report back on what I find. I know it can be done without creating the connection from the target back to GRC but maybe for certain functionality it’s required.

Correct me if I’m wrong here but for the example above I’m thinking I would set Parameter 1000 on the DEV ECC Plugin system as such:

1000 – GRDCLNT100 - Used for Dev ECC back to Dev GRC

1000 – GRPCLNT300 - Used for Prod ECC to Dev GRC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1001 – ECCCLNT100 - Used for GRC to specific multi - ECC client environment.

1001 – ECCCLNT200 - Used for GRC to specific multi - ECC client environment.

1001 – ECCCLNT300 - Used for GRC to specific multi - ECC client environment.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Kyle Weckman wrote:

Hey Harinam,

Very helpful... Yeah from a 5.3 standpoint it was much easier since you never needed a connection from the target back to the source. I'll give it a try both ways and report back on what I find. I know it can be done without creating the connection from the target back to GRC but maybe for certain functionality it’s required.

Correct me if I’m wrong here but for the example above I’m thinking I would set Parameter 1000 on the DEV ECC Plugin system as such:

1000 – GRDCLNT100 - Used for Dev ECC back to Dev GRC

1000 – GRPCLNT300 - Used for Prod ECC to Dev GRC

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1001 – ECCCLNT100 - Used for GRC to specific multi - ECC client environment.

1001 – ECCCLNT200 - Used for GRC to specific multi - ECC client environment.

1001 – ECCCLNT300 - Used for GRC to specific multi - ECC client environment.

In regards to 1001, you only need the connector entry for itself per its individual Plug-in Config i.e. in ECCCLNT100 you would only have itself in that entry within the ECCCLNT100 system etc.

Don't confuse the Plug-in Config within the GRC system itself as a Master setting. The only reason you are configuring that in the GRC system is because you want the GRC system to treat itself as a plug-in system also, hence setting up param 1000 and 1001 within the GRC system also.

A mundane example, imagine a link between a Manager and Workers....a Manager (i.e. Param 1000) will be the same for all individual workers, but the Worker (i.e. Param 1001) will only recognise itself.  Similarly, the Manager is also a worker, therefore (as a GRC system talking to itself) it sets up the link like any worker would.

Rule of thumb, The GRC system will always be in 1000 in all the Plug-in systems and 1001 will be the entry of the System ID you are setting up the parameters in.

Yes, one exception is the scenario of connecting the same system up to 2 different GRC systems. As I said, not sure if this works, but give it a go and see if it accepts the 2 entries for Param 1000.

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member841346
Discoverer
0 Kudos

I still have the same question: Do you need to create an RFC from plug-in system to GRC system for something? or all works just with the connection from GRC to target system?

pawan_amarnani
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi

I am trying to connect my ECC system with 2 GRC systems.

I already have a entry of parameter 1001 with sequence no 0 in ECC system.

when i adding new entry for same parameter with sequence no 1 it's showing error: entry already exists for the same parameter.

Could you please help me out. how can I connect my ECC system with multiple GRC system?

Thansk & Regards,

Pavan 

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

why do you want to connect an ECC system to two GRC systems?

0 Kudos

Hello All, Kamesh here. Param 1000 & 1001 will not accept 2 sequence entries. SAP could fix this. Regarding Plug in settings. Param 1000 will be used in Target system as RFC name (GRC --ECC) & Param 1001 will be used to key in GRC RFC created from ECC-->GRC. Hope it clarifies. However I would like to check if this will have any impact during NWBC request creation for auto provisioning. Thanks. Kamesh