cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PhoneGap with SUP without HWC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Does anyone have experience in creating an app using PhoneGap directly with SUP, without using the SUP HWC?  Is this something that would be an issue from the point of view of Sybase/SAP support?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

I think you have three choices here:

1. Use SUP 2.2 - Develop Hybrid Apps Using Third-party Web Frameworks (When it comes available ! April ???)

Develop MBO-based Hybrid Apps

Develop Hybrid Apps using mobile business objects (MBO) to define object data models with back-end enterprise information system (EIS) connections, attributes, operations, and relationships.

Develop OData-based Hybrid Apps

The Hybrid App SDK includes the open source Datajs JavaScript library, which you can include as part of your application to access OData stores.

Hybrid Web Container and Hybrid App JavaScript APIs

The container and framework JavaScript APIs provide functionality that the Hybrid Apps can access.

2. Generate SUP 2.1.3 replication MBO's and compile these into Phonegap as a plugin.

See  Adding native Object API to the Hybrid Web Container only where you read HWC just use PhoneGap natively.

3. Don't use SUP, but talk directly to SAP OData from Phonegap Javascript

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As of today, and in case you do not want to do a awful lot of work, IMO option 3 is the only valid one for phonegap without HWC.

Former Member
0 Kudos

If we develop an application following the architecture you mention on point #2, would it have the support of SAP? If I understand correctly, it'll basically be a native SUP application with a PhoneGap frontend, so I see no issues on it not being supported.

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

Yes I agree, if you making a native app, SAP would only support the MBO Object code anyway, they would not support your native GUI code. So as you say the same goes for a PhoneGap plugin. The MBO code would be supported, but the plugin code surrounding that code would not. I have not tried this idea in SUP 2.2 just 2.1.3, but I assume it will work just fine.

Note - This is just my view, as a Capgemini employee I have no idea what SAP/Sybase official policy would be on using Jan's code. I believe the reason he published the article is that several of SAP's customers were alredy using this technique.

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

So 2.2 is finally out and it's time to reopen this thread.  It seems (not yet conclusively - still figuring it out), that even with 2.2, one can't get completely away from the HWC for using third party tools like PhoneGap.  A bit disappointing, as we - or at least, I - was waiting eagerly for 2.2 as the cure for the curse of the HWC.  Unfortunately, looks like this has to be endured for awhile more.  Does anyone know why we can't have PhoneGap (or other) apps talking directly to SUP MBOs (not ODATA)?

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

"cure for the curse of the HWC" is a bit harsh.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, I know.    And I didn't want to sound so harsh, but it's kind of disappointing, when everyone has been talking about PhoneGap direct to SUP.  I can understand what you said, David, about the advantages of provisioning with the HWC, but what I really want is to create platform independent (to the extent possible) apps that look and feel like native ones (to the extent possible) and that's not going to happen with HWC.  At least I think now, but we're working on a PoC on this right now, and I'll know more for sure as we go through it.

0 Kudos

Hi Prashant,

I might be a little late in replying here, and guess you might have found a way to use SUP with PhoneGap. Here's a doc which helps you exactly with that, http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-34805

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Suhas

former_member184221
Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe this method only allows a proxy connection to an OData source, and not a connection to a replication MBO.

hofmann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

How would you do that with SUP 2.1.x? How do you want to connect the Phonegap app with SUP when it is not running inside HWC?