cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after PI system copy - How to deactivate communication channels (in target system)

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SAP PI is indeed a great modern software for EAI claims  😉

but is there still no simple way to deactivate all the communication channels ??? (in a target system after a homogenous system copy)

If the target system starts first time (after copying), the communication channels are starting and probably do (unwanted) data-processing.

How to avoid this?  

the SCN search delivers this thread  http://scn.sap.com/thread/2110968

but all mentioned hints did not solve the problem (satisfactorily as expected from modern SAP-software) 😉

How do SAP testing team handle this task?

How do other customers handle there PI system copy (and post-copy actions) ??

Chris

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

sunil_singh13
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Chris,

If I understand your requirement correctly then you just want to stop message from failing while System Copy.

One way could be Stop the Sender Queue in Sender Application System (Keep Receiver queue open).

Once all the Sender and Receiver queue in PI clears, Block PI queues as well then you can perform the activity. As at this point All the Message coming out of the Sender System will be held in Application System itself and once PI system is back you can release the queues.

Thanks,

Sunil

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SUNIL SINGH wrote:

Chris,

If I understand your requirement correctly then you just want to stop message from failing while System Copy.

Thanks,

Sunil

after system copy (e.g. from productive-PI -> sandbox-PI) you have no chance to deactivate communication channels in the sandbox-PI before starting the sandbox PI-system to do changes on configuration and settings.

And because the sandbox-PI is a copy of the productive-PI, the sandbox-PI will start processing messages to any productive system, that is the problem.

Why is it not possible to start a (copied) PI-system in a restricted mode without any message processing?

We need to have the chance to set a general switch-off or a general deactivate for all communication channels before starting the copied sandbox-PI system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

You name it!

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

..... but still waiting for a suitable solution from SAP,

it seems, SAP only has HANA in focus

but did not look for several needs of customers,

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

we are currently evaluating the following:

1. Set all sender channels to mode "automatic" (meaning that the pi system will start and stop the channels according to the availability planning)
  2. Set the availibility of all these channels to a simple interval: start=<some date in the past> end=<some date in the future which is after your system copy will finish but before you startup the copy>. Channels will remain started in the source system.
  3. Do the system copy
  4. Set all the channels back to manual on the source system and delete the availability planning. Channels will remain started on the source system.
  5. Wait until the end date you entered in step 2 has passed. Now you can start the copy and all the channels will be stopped according to availability planning.

One additional hint: You should also add filters to prevent the pi services to start. Otherwise the adapter engine might register as mapping runtime in your source system for example. On first startup you have to delete all the sld entry for the PI domain and delete the startup filters.

Regards, Jochen

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

I normally deactivate all the channels in the source system before I start a system copy. That way, when I start up the target system, the channels start up in an inactive state. See SAP Note 1605672

Regards, Trevor

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Trevor Naidoo wrote:

Hi Chris,

I normally deactivate all the channels in the source system before I start a system copy. That way, when I start up the target system, the channels start up in an inactive state. See SAP Note 1605672

Regards, Trevor

i don't want to make changes (deactivate communication channels) in our productive PI-system

before backup (on tape)  to use this tape for homogeneous system copy.

i expect a solution from SAP to deactivate communication channels in the target system

before starting first time.

i assume the status of comm channels are stored in a DB-file,

maybe this status can be changed by an SQL-Statement?

sunilchandra007
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Unfortunately there is no standard way to manage this. As Trevor explained, the safe way would be to stop the channels in RWB before system copy operation.

Regards,

Sunil Chandra

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

Christoph Ostrop wrote:

deactivate communication channels in the target system

before starting first time.

i assume the status of comm channels are stored in a DB-file,

maybe this status can be changed by an SQL-Statement?

I definitely recall seeing an option like this a long while back (maybe 2 years ago). I guess it was removed because of the side effects of this approach e.g. messages in "mid-flight" when backup was done, they are then carried through to the target system. It was probably proving to be a support nightmare & subsequently removed.

Regards, Trevor

christoph_ostrop
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sunil Chandra wrote:

Unfortunately there is no standard way to manage this. As Trevor explained, the safe way would be to stop the channels in RWB before system copy operation.

Regards,

Sunil Chandra

thanks for your reply, but

from a worldwide leading software company (SAP) i expect a reasonable solution

and not such action as described in note 1605672.

Is SAP not able to deliver a solution e.g. a profile parameter (such as "start-with-deactivated-cc")

or something like that?