cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parent Attribute in Parent-child hierarchy

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am trying to do a deep dive into Parent-child heirarchy construct, and had been trying to figure out the concept of Parent attribute.. I know that Parent attribute has been described in various replies in the forum as below:

'A parent attribute describes a self-referencing relationship, or self-join, within the main table. Parent-child hierarchies are constructed from a single parent attribute'.

I would appreciate if someone can clarify this concept a bit with an example.

regards,

Pooja

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Ramprabhu_Sukum
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Pooja,

You want to know the 'Parent-child' hierarchy concept or How parent-child hierarchy is constructed by HANA ?

To keep it simple, for a parent-child hierarchy to work, you got to have two columns in a table to represent the dimension . One column having the child-member and another column having the parent-member.  To ensure that your Parent-Child relationship is defined correctly you will need to ensure that the Parent Values are defined once as members within the child member column.

If you have difficulty in visualizing it, refer to my attachment.

Regards,

Ram

Message was edited by: Ramprabhu Sukumaran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ram

I understand the concept and imlpemented it that way with the Accounts from B1.

If I Open the calc view in Excel and choose the hierarchy i get an error like [AccountCode].[AccountCode].[Level00] does not exist or similar.

In Visual Intelligence the hierarchy isn't choosable.

Any ideas?

thanks

Lukas