SAP for Retail Discussions
Join conversations about personalization, omnichannel strategies, and operational excellence in retail using SAP for Retail software.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended way when vendor informs changing of packing size?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Scenario: vendor informed that they will change article A from box of 6 to box of 8. Retailer should start receiving box of 8 from 1st feb 2013.

Subsequently store should sell box of 8 because box of 6 will be considered as old packing.

I think this is common in retail. I would like to discuss the preferred way to do this. In my scenario, step as below:

1) we block purchasing from store to distribution center.

2) we clear the stock in distribution center in a week by forcing delivering to store.

3) we change the cnversuon factor from 6 each 1box to 8 each 1 box in article basic data when we start receiving from vendor's new packing

4) once step 3 is done, store can start purchase from distribution center.

My potential issues in above way:

a) store takes additional stock (due to step 2)

B) there is a delivery lead time from distribution center to store. In step 4, store may have out of stock as from step 1 to step 4, store is refrained from purchasing from distribution center.

I think there should be a better way in this world. Thanks for your help in advance.

7 REPLIES 7

eduardo_hinojosa
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

One suggestion. Try to do it with batch management. You can manage batches by UoM. With status you can avoid this batch (UoM) will be usable.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

0 Kudos

Thanks Eduardo,

After posting this question, I was thinking whether I could create another UOM(box of 😎 in addition of UOM(box of 6).

do you think this is a better way?

0 Kudos

Hi Glen,

Perhaps it would be more suitable and simpler, because you can create an additional UoM and change the UoM for deleveries to the new UoM, so the older won't be managed.

I hope this helps you

Regards

Eduardo

0 Kudos

Logistical variant could also help in this scenario. However, I'm afraid that number of article created by logistical variant may be too many to handle.

does anyone use logistical variant to handle multiple UOMs? (Note: using characteristic (UOM) for generic article to general multiple article each with different UOM).

Your feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

tn_naveen
Participant
0 Kudos

Just create a new SKU for the 8 pack! This wil work as long as your sales unit is piece and the pack itself is not sold.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Create as new article will give problem in inventory management. In other words, you will have two article codes for the same product ( sales unit in piece)?

Any advice on solving the inventory management using logistical variant / treat different UOM as separate articles?

Thanks.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all, sorry to jump into question too fast. I think I could use movement type 319 to do the transfer to sales variant.